NBA finals, Lakers Celtics Game 5: Note to Phil Jackson, the Celtics can win games in the fourth quarter, too

Jun 14, 2010, 1:00 AM EST

Lakers_huddle.jpgThis is what Phil Jackson (wearing a mic) told his team during a fourth-quarter time out, as the Lakers were making a fourth-quarter run.

“(Boston) loses more games in the fourth quarter than any team in the league. They know how to lose games, and they’re showing us that now.”

They also know how to win games. They were winning all the 50/50 balls. Kevin Garnett is going into a pile with three Lakers and coming out of it with a jump ball. (Which he lost to Derek Fisher, another sign of how weird this series has become.)

Paul Pierce was catching bad-decision inbound passes then hitting a streaking Rajon Rondo going to the hoop. Kendrick Perkins was coming down with offensive rebounds when the game was on the line. Rondo was diving into the crown to save balls, then he was out-jumping two taller Lakers for offensive rebound tip-ins.

We have seen flashes of that from the Lakers in their wins, but not in the last two games. Lately all the energy, all the hustle plays have been Boston’s. The Celtics have been the scrappy ones. At this point in the series, the teams know each other so well there are no real Xs and Os adjustments to make, it is all about execution and hustle plays.

Boston made them in the fourth quarter. And if they make them in the fourth quarter Tuesday night they will hang banner 18.

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. obvious - Jun 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Instead of worrying about a play the refs may or may not have missed, you should work on your free throws. LA missed them at the end of the game. The refs have blown several calls for both teams this series.

2. Hackpiper - Jun 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Easy there buck! Take your ritalin. It’s all trash talk in here…back and forth. None of it has any bearing whatsoever on that tenuously grasped concept that some of us refer to as “reality.” Try it sometime.

3. Absolutely! - Jun 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Thank you! I’ve been really surprised that no one has been addressing the most important thing about that little speech…and that is it wasn’t about what the Lakers were supposed to do to take charge of the game, it was all, Oh, don’t worry, you can sit back and they’ll just hand it to you. WTH?
    I’ve never liked Phil Jackson, but had to respect his accomplishments. Now I really wonder if he could have even earned one ring without the luck of the draw with his superstars.

4. socker - Jun 14, 2010 at 2:44 PM

You’re comatose right now.

5. Hackpiper - Jun 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Wow. Are you serious!
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

6. Anonymous - Jun 14, 2010 at 2:59 PM

You know what’s funny? The #4 east coast team kicking the west coasts #1.

7. Norman Dale - Jun 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

All you Laker fans need to stop bitching about calls. 4 out of 5 games, the Celtics have had more fouls called. That includes 2 out 3 in Boston.
    If the games were called even, this series would already be over! And yes, no doubt the Celtics will be called for more fouls than the Lakers at home. Let’s see if they will overcome that and win another championship.

8. Whatevahfugitaboutit - Jun 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM

You know what’s even funnier? Two of the Celtics “Big 3″ are from the West conference. This has been a great series, but it isn’t over until yo mama (not Yo Yo Ma) sings and somebody wins a 4th game…

9. Whatevahfugitaboutit - Jun 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Bring the Lakers back to Mpls and they will prosper again! Or at least win more games then the local team that Kevin McHale (worst GM ever, next to Matt Millen) destroyed. This might also answer that dummy’s post about the whereabouts of the lakes too…

10. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Hey, idiot, those players you mentioned weren’t winning championships for certain number of years… until PJ was part of the coaching staff. He has the ability to elevate the game of superstars to championship status.
    And for Boston fans out there who love using the word Fakers: What dictionary are you using idiots? Celtics are the Fake Ones coz THEY’VE BEEN PATHETICALLY MEDIOCRE for TWENTY TWO FRIGGN YEARS!!! You bask in the glory of the Celtics Dynasty of the 60’s when the number of teams playing at that time wasn’t even more than any of the present-day NBA Conference of 15 teams each. When was the last time you repeated? I wasn’t even born yet and I’m on my Doctorate Degree already. LMFAO! Fakers my gluteus maximus. You just won a title and became relevant for the recent three years and you got swagger like forever.
    This Celtics team is a worthy opponent. It would be sweet to get sixteen at their expense. They don’t suck as a team. They play hard-nosed bball any BONAFIDE NBA FAN can appreciate. But the Wheel-chair theatrics of Pierce is certainly so Hollywood. Good thing he has gotten rid of it this year — so far.
    Good luck to both teams. May the better one win. GO LAKERS!!!

11. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM

By the way, I have serious anger issues. Sorry.

12. Qman - Jun 15, 2010 at 12:32 PM

So what they didn’t win until PJ was there? MJ needed to mature everyone knows that and once he figured out to make his team better is when he started winning. Why did he leave after MJ and Pippen left? Why didn’t he stay in Chicago? Maybe its because he knew he could NO LONGER WIN in Chicago? Mysteriously a year later he takes the Lakers job? You’re kidding yourself my man. PJ is an arrogant phony who has been at the right place at the right time in Chicago and THE ONLY REASON he came back to coach the Lakers is because Kobe and Shaq were on the team. Don’t fool yourself. Have you heard his locker room and sideline speeches? If I were a Laker I’d be looking down at the Celtics bench longing to be there. Not exactly inspiring is he? Also, I am not talking with Swagger, I lived through those miserable seasons and appreciate any finals appearance. It’s a fact that he will never coach for any team he has to build. Although, I’m sure he’ll be first in line to coach for LeBron’s new team – guaranteed.

13. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM

It is the voices….the voices talk to me and I must respond. I love Phil, not in a manly way like “I love ‘ya, man,” but in a more intimate and caring way. I have a picture of Phil that I sleep with. And now the voices are telling me to defend Phil against those who would besmirch his reputation. And that is what I will do….to my dying breath….I shall defend my gallant warrior, Phil Jackson.
    So…..ah ha! GO LAKERS!

14. brad - Jun 15, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Are you serious??? It was the lowest amount of free throws in the entire series.

15. Qman - Jun 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Oh well if you’re intimate with him that’s different, just be careful because he’ll leave you as soon as he sees he can win somewhere else and the lipstick is off the pig!! LMAO

16. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Thankl you for your kind words. I love Phil (I call him “My Philly”). I am always watchful yet respectful of his time away from me. Actually, his time away from me is all of the time because I have never actually met him. But the voices have told me that I will meet him. And that he will love me as much as I love him.
    Godspeed you, Qman. May you some day find a love as fine as the one shared (well, not really shared, but it will be) by My Philly and I.

17. Fouldwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM

LMAO! Even here, we have theft identity. Fine. Whatever rocks your boat, she-male. Where I come from, we call chaps like you COWARDS since you just hide behind the safety confines of your pc. We also call them pussies, right? Pussy boy can’t even use his original name handle. LMFAO! Cheap shot. But go ahead, if it makes you sleep well at night. Pretty much sure that those with real brains can figure out which is which. Pathetic try, but yeah, makes you really look like a pimple-faced, mentally-challenged, trying hard little boy. LOL!
    As for PJ, the guy is a winner. And pathetic losers like you (in real life) are just crapping yourself in envy. However you call it, he gets the job done and wins. Can’t say for the numerous others who made the attempt… especially the mediocrity from ’86 till 2007. BWAHAHAHA!!!

18. NoReasonToCelebrateYet - Jun 15, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Um, let’s get this straight. Jackson or any coach for that matter getting any credit at all. Ref Bulls: Pippen and Grant had just been drafted under Collins. Ref Lakers: Kobe and Fisher were pups as well. The best skill Jackson has is being “Johny on the Spot”. Coaches don’t play the game. At this level they barely have to coach. How about Rivers now being one of the best but prior to Big 3 he coached a 24-58 team. C’mon. Players play, coaches coach (maybe).

19. Question? - Jun 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Foul Dwimmerlaik & Fouldwimmerlaik: Stop yelling at yourself, it isn’t cool. And, if you use a name like “Foul Dwimmerlaik”, I don’t think you should be calling ANYONE a pussy. You need to go work some stuff out in therapy. Good luck!

20. Fouldwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I shall yell at myself if I so please. The voices have so decreed that I may and I must. I shall shout down all who disrespect My Philly! Cowards! Pussies! She-males! All of you who crap yourselves with envy over the glory of My Philly. You are all pathetic, mentally challenged, pimple-faced little boys. And I, I am the keeper of all that is PHIL. I send him emails asking him to Phil me up. He shall someday and all of you naysayers will be crapping yourselves with envy. Pathetic!

21. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Quite amusing, little boy. Truth be told I’m flattered that you go to the extent of doing this, thinking that it would make a dent in my ego. Carry on! I recognize your extreme effort to come up with a gem of an idea like this. Such effort is worth noting like pulling teeth from a monkey — in this case, the monkey pulling is own teeth. LMFAO! Thanks for the entertainment.
    @Question: As opposed to what? Just because I chose a Tolkien character? Maybe next time I should use Conan the Barbarian, Pablo Picasso perhaps? What about Louis Armstrong? or wait, Paul Piss? Nah. I’m fine with the name handle, thank you.

22. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jun 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I see that my obvious intelligence has quieted yet another pretender to my throne of “Most Amazing Hobbit Lover In The Universe”! Carry on! I recognize the effort that is put into trying to unseat me from my rank but none can succeed. It flatters me that some would try. Sometimes, at night, i hug my hobbit doll and thank the mighty Tolkien that he created the world in which I could be King!
    Excuse me while I lmfao. Ahem, LMFAO!
    There, much better. By the way, I was noting like pulling teeth from a monkey (whatever that means) the other day and I thought to myself: I am King of the Hobbits! I found that quite amusing, my little boys.
    Having now conquered, I shal lmfao and take my leave!
    LMFAO

23. Fouldwimmerlaik - Jun 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

That was quite amusing, Foul Dwimmerlaik. Hazzah, cheer for you, hazzah! LMFAO!
    Thanks for the entertainment and keep an eye on my hobbit for me. LMFAO!

24. jazk - Jun 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM

How you feelin’ now? Banner 17?

25. 2010 CHAMPS - Jun 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Can they Kurt, can they win them in the fourth quarter?

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches