NBA finals, Lakers Celtics Game 5: Note to Phil Jackson, the Celtics can win games in the fourth quarter, too

Jun 14, 2010, 1:00 AM EST

Lakers_huddle.jpgThis is what Phil Jackson (wearing a mic) told his team during a fourth-quarter time out, as the Lakers were making a fourth-quarter run.

“(Boston) loses more games in the fourth quarter than any team in the league. They know how to lose games, and they’re showing us that now.”

They also know how to win games. They were winning all the 50/50 balls. Kevin Garnett is going into a pile with three Lakers and coming out of it with a jump ball. (Which he lost to Derek Fisher, another sign of how weird this series has become.)

Paul Pierce was catching bad-decision inbound passes then hitting a streaking Rajon Rondo going to the hoop. Kendrick Perkins was coming down with offensive rebounds when the game was on the line. Rondo was diving into the crown to save balls, then he was out-jumping two taller Lakers for offensive rebound tip-ins.

We have seen flashes of that from the Lakers in their wins, but not in the last two games. Lately all the energy, all the hustle plays have been Boston’s. The Celtics have been the scrappy ones. At this point in the series, the teams know each other so well there are no real Xs and Os adjustments to make, it is all about execution and hustle plays.

Boston made them in the fourth quarter. And if they make them in the fourth quarter Tuesday night they will hang banner 18.

101 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Bill Perry Jr - Jun 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM

What game were you watching? If ego-centered Kobe were more of a team player he might become one of the all-time great players. He is mainly interested in how well Kobe can do in a game and the hell with the rest of the team. Does he know how or when to pass to a teammate?

2. len501 - Jun 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM

If Paul Pierce is an actress, what does that say about the guy from Queensbridge and all of the other Lakers who can’t stop him ?

3. obvious - Jun 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Uh, I think fisher is the king of all flopping by the way. Kobe whines every time he misses a shot, which is often. Artest is a team cancer. You should get rid of him. I’m just glad he hasn’t punched anyone yet.

4. jazzman - Jun 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

GO western Conferance.

5. L8KRS FN - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Lakers shot poorly last night and the Celtics were shooting over 70% for most of the game. The Celtcs did what they had to do and that was to take the second and third games, after losing the first. I’m expecting the Lakers to have much better shooting in Game 6 – certainly not under 40% as they did for much of the first couple quarters. We’ve seen Ray Allen have his “hot” night and he’s been quiet since. Same with Robinson and “Cry Baby” Davis. I’m waiting for a number of Lakers (besides Kobe) to have their “hot” game: Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, and Shannon Brown in particular. The Lakers play much better at home, and after being on Boston for over a week, I’m expecting a huge game for them tomorrow. Go Lakers!

6. Celtics Banner 18 - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Why are you so concerned with how ugly they are? You should be more concerned with the Lakers losing by 39 again in a game 6.
    If they only relevant point you can make about the game is people throwing stuff on the court, comparing Nate to an alien, and commenting on how ugly a future hall of famers “game” is…I think you should prob just come out to Boston for the parade so we can throw things at you instead. losaaaaaaa (yeah, thats said in a Boston accent) ;)

7. aaww - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM

What is with that #9 ref, don’t remember he called one foul on the celtics ..need to check his bank accounts..

8. L8KRS FN - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Although I’m a Lakers fan, I’m not going to bash the Celtics. Lakers shot poorly last night and the Celtics were shooting over 70% for most of the game. The Celtcs did what they had to do and that was to take the second and third games, after losing the first. I’m expecting the Lakers to have much better shooting in Game 6 – certainly not under 40% as they did for much of the first couple quarters. We’ve seen Ray Allen have his “hot” night and he’s been quiet since. Same with Robinson and “Cry Baby” Davis. I’m waiting for a number of Lakers (besides Kobe) to have their “hot” game: Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, and Shannon Brown in particular. Pau has not played well in Boston, and I expect him to be more agressive at home. Lamar is just frustrating the hell out of me! The Lakers play much better at home, and after being on Boston for over a week, I’m expecting a huge game for them tomorrow. Go Lakers!

9. Celtics Banner 18 - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Wow an actual Lakers post that isnt whining (well kinda)
    Celtics have played better on the road all season. So good luck with thinking the defense will be any less relentless. There are reasons the Lakers are shooting so poorly, because the Celtics arent allowing them easy baskets. Even Kobe wasnt getting good looks, he was just hitting hard shots.
    What was overlooked, while Kobe was on his I am going to take every shot and take my teammates out of the game kick, Pierce has 18 points in that span, all while still keeping HIS teammates involved. That’s what seperates these teams and why the Celtics will win game 6 and bring the trophy back to the bean. They don’t always rely on the same guy to win the game. Ray Ray did it in game 2, the bench did it in game 4, Pierce did it in game 5.
    Expect KG to come out even more aggressive in game 6, keep Pau irrelevant once again and to score at least 20 pts and bring down 10 rebounds.
    Lakers cannot match up to the Celtics. Its a done deal. and I am done!!
    See ya next year Fakers Fans :)

10. CalinCT - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Man…Phil Jackson just handed the C’s some nice “bulletin board” material. Why he’d want to do that…I just don’t know. The guy knows he’s got a mic on him!!
    Jackson was outcoached 2 years ago when the Celtics won. The past two games, Jackson has, again, been outcoached. I’m not saying the Celts are going to win this series…I think it probably goes 7 and then it’s anyone’s game.
    But for the Lakers to have the “greatest coach in NBA history” get outcoached, pretty frequently, by Doc Rivers says something.

11. Anonymous - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM

The Pats don’t cheat!
    GO CELTS

12. Kobe is a fine whine - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I love watching Kobe whine about calls or non-calls. I am sure that is how he acted when he was caught raping that girl. I am sure at first he whined about it. Then he bitched about it. Then called David Stern and asked him to make it all better….actually, he whined at him to make it all better.
    Kobe…a fine whine and a fine rapist.

13. Marlboro - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

The Pats don’t cheat, because when you are that good you just don’t need too.
    GO CELTS!

14. Luis - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I am neither a Laker or Boston Fan, what I can’t stand is how people try to say Kobe is the greatest, MJ would have taken game five. I watched a you tube video on Jordan making a layup while three guys were trying to block it…I have never seen Kobe do that, plus as you can see Kobe was in a zone yet his team mates did not feed off his energy! When MJ got hot he willed his team to make stops on the other end and cut the deficit. I think both teams will play to win game six which means it may boil down to a last second shot to tie or win, if that is the Case depending one who has the last shot will determine the winner…It may be Kobe so that said game 7 will determine the winner and I think Boston will take it.

15. kimmer - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Jackson is a ruthless, motivated winner who will use any type of motivation technique at hand. He will say or do anything that will help his team. His mind is geared towards winning, and this comes from having been a motivated, driven player. He is coaching the team I hate. Doc Rivers also uses any motivation technique at hand. He has great instincts and makes key, crucial decisions during the heat of battle that seem to be right on! This series is turning into a great one. No doubt it will go 7 games. What a matchup! The NBA finals are back!! Contrast this with the recent boring NBA finals of the past several years. No contest, folks!!

16. Crykobe - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM

waaaaaa waaa waa waa waaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa waa waa waaaaaa waa waaaaaaaaaa waa waa waa waaaa waaaaaa waa waa waaa waaaaaaaa

17. Celts4eva - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM

The celts will take it. Cuz Kobe just dosen’t understand wut it means to be a TEAM player. If he did they might have a better chance. That just what I think.

18. Les - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

AMEN.

19. Skids - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM

For the Lakers to take this series, the rest of the team will obviously have to overcome a 10-30 shooting night by the “great” Kobe. He is going to take his shots, no matter how bad, so he can get his points. That’s the bottom line. The rest of the team, if it can do that, can win.

20. RobK - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM

If anyone isn’t surprised if this goes 7 games, I’ve got some ocean front property in North Dakota to sell you….

21. Raptorman - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Funny; I predicted a Celtic/Lakers final when the season started last fall and that’s what we have. Now we have to watch ticky tack fouls from blind refs; Physical muggings from overpaid athletes and no fouls called; traveling, double dribbles; trash talking, constant whining (see Kobe). You can’t make this up. If our kids would behave like the NBA kids, OMG, we would never get through a game, they would all be kicked out. Game 6 in LA, the Lakers WILL get all the calls. Game 7, maybe they let them play. I say, who cares…The refs should follow the rules to the letter, instead of turning a blind eye, this star treatment allowing the stars to do whatever they please is a joke. The NBA thinks they are the NFL, no way; no how…With that said, I hope the Celtics hang number 18 on the Lakers…Go Bucks…LOL

22. shel - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM

i cant wait to see the faces of all the Phoney, er I mean Beautiful people when the Soft ASS Lakers lose on tuesday! Damn LA SUCKS as a city

23. mike - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM

what a DUMB ARTICLE… the players and coaches can say what they want.. u do your job and write about basketball and the game… or maybe u don’t know nothing about the game of basketball but your gossips….get a life.

24. ZEN MASTER? - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The great Zen Master is having his ass handed to him. Doc Rivers outcoached him in 2008 and he’s doing it again. This lakers team is good enough to win, but they’ve been outcoached in every game, even the ones the Celtics lost. Jackson needs players who can do it themselves, Like Kobe, Pippin, Jordan, etc… If he has to coach lesser players and manage a game he bites it. He’s never won without an extraordinary starting five and deep bench. That was the case in 2008, and its the case now. If the teams switched coaches, the Lakers would be up 3-2 right now and probably winning the championship. I think Jerry Buss is right not to give him the money he’s looking for. I think theres alot of coaches without jobs that could have gotten the Lakers to where they are today.Lakers should have gotten the Celts assistant Tom Thibodeau and put Jackson out to pasture.

25. Qman - Jun 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Ha..Phil Jackson is an opportunist not a coach. Give anyone Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaquille, and Kobe and they SHOULD win 10 titles. The ONLY reason he agreed to coach the Lakers in the first place is because he knew Kobe and Shaq were there. I’d like to see him take a team from scratch and build it but he never will because he’s as a big a phony as there is. That’s why he is Perfect for LA

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches