NBA finals, Lakers Celtics Game 5: Note to Phil Jackson, the Celtics can win games in the fourth quarter, too
Jun 14, 2010, 1:00 AM EST
This is what Phil Jackson (wearing a mic) told his team during a fourth-quarter time out, as the Lakers were making a fourth-quarter run.
“(Boston) loses more games in the fourth quarter than any team in the league. They know how to lose games, and they’re showing us that now.”
They also know how to win games. They were winning all the 50/50 balls. Kevin Garnett is going into a pile with three Lakers and coming out of it with a jump ball. (Which he lost to Derek Fisher, another sign of how weird this series has become.)
Paul Pierce was catching bad-decision inbound passes then hitting a streaking Rajon Rondo going to the hoop. Kendrick Perkins was coming down with offensive rebounds when the game was on the line. Rondo was diving into the crown to save balls, then he was out-jumping two taller Lakers for offensive rebound tip-ins.
We have seen flashes of that from the Lakers in their wins, but not in the last two games. Lately all the energy, all the hustle plays have been Boston’s. The Celtics have been the scrappy ones. At this point in the series, the teams know each other so well there are no real Xs and Os adjustments to make, it is all about execution and hustle plays.
Boston made them in the fourth quarter. And if they make them in the fourth quarter Tuesday night they will hang banner 18.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 9
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 12
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18