Jun 14, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
We pretty much know what the top three picks in the NBA Draft were going to be: No. 1 John Wall to the Wizards (as sure a thing as Kobe Bryant being surly in a press conference), No. 2 will be Evan Turner to Philadelphia (unless they trade the pick, which could happen), then at No. 3 Derrick Favors to New Jersey.
And now, according to multiple reports, Syracuse’s Wesley Johnson will go to Minnesota at No. 4.
We’ll start with the most connected draft man out there, Jonathan Givony at DraftExpress, who tweeted this:
Hearing Cousins won’t work out in Minnesota. Apparently they have their mind made up on Wes Johnson. Jives w/everything else we’re hearing
That thought is echoed by the relentless Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo, who added that Cousin’s agent, John Grieg, called off any workouts because he is convinced the Wolves are going to draft Johnson out of Syracuse.
An agent doesn’t make that move unless he has it on pretty good authority.
That means Cousins — potentially the best big man in the draft but potentially the biggest flame out depending on where his head is — falls to the Kings at No. 5. That could be a great fit for them. Cousins and Jason Thompson along the front line with Tyreke Evans slashing to the rim is something you can really build around.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0