Jun 14, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
Larry Drew earned this shot. Make no mistake, he has spent longer on the bench as an assistant than he did in the league as a player. He paid his dues, he no-doubt knows the game.
The surprise of him being named the Atlanta Hawks new head coach was that he had spent the last six years as the lead assistant to Mike Woodson. They guy they let walk because they needed a new voice and direction. Hiring the top assistant rarely means a big shake up.
But Drew has had a front-row seat for the last two good regular seasons and playoff failures, He knows what needs to happen, and said all the right things in an interview with Lang Whitaker of SLAM.
Including the novel concept of ball movement, not isolation basketball. (Hawks fans, I know this is a confusing concept, but if you watch the finals you can see what we’re talking about.)
Offensively, a lot of people are seeing the same thing. When you have five guys out there playing together, five guys out there moving the basketball, and five guy out there who are a threat, you become a much more potent team, and that’s something that I’m definitely planning on implementing, so we can have all guys out on the floor being a threat. Not all five guys necessarily being scorers, but all five guys being a threat. We have the capability of obviously Joe having a big night, or Josh Smith or Al having a big night, even the capability of Marvin having a big night. And Jamal coming off the bench is obviously a guy who can score in bunches. We just want to add a few things, subtract a few things just to make us a better ball club.
Knowing what to do is the first step. Being able to execute may mean a new point guard in Atlanta.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 6
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8