Jun 14, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
Finally, everyone in Dallas seems to have figured out that Rodrigue Beaubois is a bird that needs to be set free, not caged on the bench. Even Jason Kidd.
During a press call for the 21st American Century Championship, the celebrity golf event coming up next month in Lake Tahoe, Kidd said he wants to see Beaubois get more minutes next season, particularly during the regular season. All the better to rest the 37-year-old Kidd for the playoffs.
And if that mean’s coming off the bench, so be it.
“I would hope that’s what we’re shooting for, to develop Roddy this summer and to play him more next season,” Kidd said. “I wouldn’t be opposed to coming off the bench some next season.”
Beaubois was dynamic in Dallas last season, particularly in the playoffs. Once Rick Carlisle let him off the bench. Another coach not trusting a rookie — and Beaubois was uneven — even though his team needed a burst of energy and Beaubois is a walking, talking ball of energy.
Mark Cuban even said Beaubois could start next year, so maybe it was wise for Kidd to go along with the owner.
But the fact remains that Dallas needs to keep Kidd’s minutes down for him to be as effective anymore. And Dallas has two good backup point guards is the dynamic Beaubois and the solid JJ Barea. It will be interesting to see how the minutes get divided, but the Mavericks need to shake things up, and Beaubois certainly does that.
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 0
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 18
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 46
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 59
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 72
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 40
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3