Jun 14, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
Finally, everyone in Dallas seems to have figured out that Rodrigue Beaubois is a bird that needs to be set free, not caged on the bench. Even Jason Kidd.
During a press call for the 21st American Century Championship, the celebrity golf event coming up next month in Lake Tahoe, Kidd said he wants to see Beaubois get more minutes next season, particularly during the regular season. All the better to rest the 37-year-old Kidd for the playoffs.
And if that mean’s coming off the bench, so be it.
“I would hope that’s what we’re shooting for, to develop Roddy this summer and to play him more next season,” Kidd said. “I wouldn’t be opposed to coming off the bench some next season.”
Beaubois was dynamic in Dallas last season, particularly in the playoffs. Once Rick Carlisle let him off the bench. Another coach not trusting a rookie — and Beaubois was uneven — even though his team needed a burst of energy and Beaubois is a walking, talking ball of energy.
Mark Cuban even said Beaubois could start next year, so maybe it was wise for Kidd to go along with the owner.
But the fact remains that Dallas needs to keep Kidd’s minutes down for him to be as effective anymore. And Dallas has two good backup point guards is the dynamic Beaubois and the solid JJ Barea. It will be interesting to see how the minutes get divided, but the Mavericks need to shake things up, and Beaubois certainly does that.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 8
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8