Jun 14, 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
There is no better time to be a free agent then after a good run in the playoffs. Just ask Hedo Turkoglu.
Boston’s Tony Allen is no Turkoglu — on a number of levels — but he is a guy about to be a free agent coming off an impressive NBA finals.
Not on offense, but on defense. He has been the Celtics best defender on Kobe Bryant. Over at Haralabos Voulgaris’ Alone in the Corner blog, he broke down the numbers: When Kobe Bryant goes against Paul Pierce or Ray Allen, Bryant scores about .8 points per possession (think if Kobe took 100 shots he’d score about 80 points, which is still pretty good).
Tony Allen is holding Kobe to .54 points per possession.
How many teams out there need a good perimeter defender? You do sacrifice some offense with Allen — he shot just 25 percent beyond 16 feet and didn’t take a three all season for the Celtics. He’s only really a threat at the rim.
But off the bench, on a team where other guys are expected to score, he can play a quality roll. Like he has for the Celtics.
Allen made $2.5 million last year, and may well get offers north of that this summer. Not way north, not up to the mid-level exception, but maybe around $3.5 million for a couple years. That’s a fair price for a guy who can contribute on defense off the bench.
And those are offers he may not have gotten if his skills had not been exposed during these playoffs.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15