Jun 13, 2010, 11:33 AM EDT
The city of New York has pulled out all the stops in letting LeBron James know it wants him, and it wants him bad. And now the Knicks are offering something else unique. His own show.
The New York Post reports that the MSG Network will premiere “Knicks Night Live” on July 1st, right in time for the free agency push in the NBA. The network is saying all the right things in terms of this just being an advance of their brand, but it’s pretty obvious, this is yet another element to throw at LeBron, enticing him with the idea of his own talk show in the world’s top market.
It certainly fits with James’ M.O. of pursuing ‘global icon’ status. James has long pursued a situation that fits with this kind of total media expansion of his brand. A talk show in New York nightly certainly puts him on a different level with his peers.
At the same time, couldn’t James do this for any network? How many cable networks would afford him this opportunity? It’s arguable that James doesn’t need New York or MSG to pull this off.
But still, it’s nice to be wanted.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 17
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 45
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 59
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 71
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16