Jun 13, 2010, 11:33 AM EST
The city of New York has pulled out all the stops in letting LeBron James know it wants him, and it wants him bad. And now the Knicks are offering something else unique. His own show.
The New York Post reports that the MSG Network will premiere “Knicks Night Live” on July 1st, right in time for the free agency push in the NBA. The network is saying all the right things in terms of this just being an advance of their brand, but it’s pretty obvious, this is yet another element to throw at LeBron, enticing him with the idea of his own talk show in the world’s top market.
It certainly fits with James’ M.O. of pursuing ‘global icon’ status. James has long pursued a situation that fits with this kind of total media expansion of his brand. A talk show in New York nightly certainly puts him on a different level with his peers.
At the same time, couldn’t James do this for any network? How many cable networks would afford him this opportunity? It’s arguable that James doesn’t need New York or MSG to pull this off.
But still, it’s nice to be wanted.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28