Jun 12, 2010, 10:57 PM EST
If you put it to a vote of the fans, Magic Johnson would probably win with Kobe Bryant a close second. Then again, maybe Chick Hearn deservedly wins it all.
But among the candidates there seems to be a mutual admiration society. Jerry West said Kobe Bryant was the best Laker ever. Saturday, Kobe returned the compliment (as reported by Kevin Ding in the Orange County Register):
“It’s Jerry West, because of everything that he’s done, as a player and then as a general manager,” Bryant said Saturday. “He’s responsible for managing here, he’s responsible for Shaq (O’Neal), he’s responsible for myself. He put the whole picture together and everything that he’s done. To me, he’s the greatest.”
When it was pointed out by a reporter that Magic Johnson beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals and West did not, Bryant’s reaction spoke to his disagreement with the notion that Bryant needs to beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals to establish his legacy.
“What is everybody’s fascination with the Celtics in terms of going down in history? It’s a little weird to me,” Bryant said. “I think Jerry’s body of work and the championships that he’s been responsible for (matter). Just my opinion. You can have your own opinion, it doesn’t really matter to me. In my opinion, I think Jerry West is.”
- Derrick Rose leaves Bulls-Nuggets game with hamstring tightness 23
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 18
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23