Jun 12, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Hakeem Olajuwon mentioned during the Eastern Conference Finals that he would be meeting with Dwight Howard over the summer.
It would appear that wasn’t just publicity talk.
Now, if you’re a fan of another Eastern Conference team, just stay calm. There’s no reason to panic.
Okay, there’s a little reason to panic.
Howard’s only true weak point in his game is his lack of a genuine post game. He has a semi-functional driving hook, which is like trying to kick-start that 1978 Volvo in your uncle’s backyard, half the time it just kicks out smoke. He’s got a small turnaround floater, but it mostly looks like an accident. His up-and-under dunk is solid and practiced, but defensible, especially in a series with time to prepare.
Which is what makes Howard’s potential work with Olajuwon (and we have no confirmation they’re working out) so exciting/downright terrifying. He’s already one of the best players in the league, an MVP candidate. Olajuwon is arguably the greatest center of the last 30 years, one of the greatest centers of all time, and the strongest part of his game was his footwork and offensive prowess. The Dream could hurt you in a million different ways, stringing together moves in combinations his opponent couldn’t prepare for.
That may be the best thing Olajuwon can teach Howard. Beyond the actual moves which aren’t that difficult to learn, it’s the ability to improvise to out-maneuver your opponent’s specific skill sets that may of the most value to Howard. Either way, a Dwight Howard with post-moves spells doom for the rest of the league’s frontcourts. The word “unstoppable’ comes to mind.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 10
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 10
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 16
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement