Jun 12, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Hakeem Olajuwon mentioned during the Eastern Conference Finals that he would be meeting with Dwight Howard over the summer.
It would appear that wasn’t just publicity talk.
Now, if you’re a fan of another Eastern Conference team, just stay calm. There’s no reason to panic.
Okay, there’s a little reason to panic.
Howard’s only true weak point in his game is his lack of a genuine post game. He has a semi-functional driving hook, which is like trying to kick-start that 1978 Volvo in your uncle’s backyard, half the time it just kicks out smoke. He’s got a small turnaround floater, but it mostly looks like an accident. His up-and-under dunk is solid and practiced, but defensible, especially in a series with time to prepare.
Which is what makes Howard’s potential work with Olajuwon (and we have no confirmation they’re working out) so exciting/downright terrifying. He’s already one of the best players in the league, an MVP candidate. Olajuwon is arguably the greatest center of the last 30 years, one of the greatest centers of all time, and the strongest part of his game was his footwork and offensive prowess. The Dream could hurt you in a million different ways, stringing together moves in combinations his opponent couldn’t prepare for.
That may be the best thing Olajuwon can teach Howard. Beyond the actual moves which aren’t that difficult to learn, it’s the ability to improvise to out-maneuver your opponent’s specific skill sets that may of the most value to Howard. Either way, a Dwight Howard with post-moves spells doom for the rest of the league’s frontcourts. The word “unstoppable’ comes to mind.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona