Jun 12, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Hakeem Olajuwon mentioned during the Eastern Conference Finals that he would be meeting with Dwight Howard over the summer.
It would appear that wasn’t just publicity talk.
Now, if you’re a fan of another Eastern Conference team, just stay calm. There’s no reason to panic.
Okay, there’s a little reason to panic.
Howard’s only true weak point in his game is his lack of a genuine post game. He has a semi-functional driving hook, which is like trying to kick-start that 1978 Volvo in your uncle’s backyard, half the time it just kicks out smoke. He’s got a small turnaround floater, but it mostly looks like an accident. His up-and-under dunk is solid and practiced, but defensible, especially in a series with time to prepare.
Which is what makes Howard’s potential work with Olajuwon (and we have no confirmation they’re working out) so exciting/downright terrifying. He’s already one of the best players in the league, an MVP candidate. Olajuwon is arguably the greatest center of the last 30 years, one of the greatest centers of all time, and the strongest part of his game was his footwork and offensive prowess. The Dream could hurt you in a million different ways, stringing together moves in combinations his opponent couldn’t prepare for.
That may be the best thing Olajuwon can teach Howard. Beyond the actual moves which aren’t that difficult to learn, it’s the ability to improvise to out-maneuver your opponent’s specific skill sets that may of the most value to Howard. Either way, a Dwight Howard with post-moves spells doom for the rest of the league’s frontcourts. The word “unstoppable’ comes to mind.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10