Jun 11, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Nobody can over-value their own worth like congressmen and NBA players.
Meet Tyson Chandler.
He is a defensive and rebounding specialist who has missed 68 games over the last two years. He is scheduled to make $12.6 million next season in the last year of his contract signed back when he was the best defensive center in the game.
However, he is considering opting out and testing the free agent market this summer, according to ESPN’s Chad Ford.
The question becomes: What is Chandler’s value in the marketplace? Ford thinks he could pull about $10 million a year for four or five years, as teams that do not land LeBron and Wade look to spend.
I think that is over-valuing Chandler in this market. He would take a healthy pay cut, I picture something more like $7 million a year. Which maybe you could reconcile if you were assured of four or five years, heading into the next collective bargaining agreement. But I don’t see GMs doing that for a center who has missed so much time due to injury. Two years, maybe with a team option for three? That sounds about right. But teams are going to want to minimize their risk.
There certainly is value in what Chandler brings. Anybody watching the NBA finals can see the value of having a big man who can defend the rim, rebound and just be a force in the paint. When healthy, Chandler can be those things.
And the reports are that he is healthy. And he will be just 28 next year.
But general managers — especially this summer, in this economy — are not going to risk big money on a role player who could be injury prone. Sometimes the bird in the hand is the better bet.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25