Jun 11, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Nobody can over-value their own worth like congressmen and NBA players.
Meet Tyson Chandler.
He is a defensive and rebounding specialist who has missed 68 games over the last two years. He is scheduled to make $12.6 million next season in the last year of his contract signed back when he was the best defensive center in the game.
However, he is considering opting out and testing the free agent market this summer, according to ESPN’s Chad Ford.
The question becomes: What is Chandler’s value in the marketplace? Ford thinks he could pull about $10 million a year for four or five years, as teams that do not land LeBron and Wade look to spend.
I think that is over-valuing Chandler in this market. He would take a healthy pay cut, I picture something more like $7 million a year. Which maybe you could reconcile if you were assured of four or five years, heading into the next collective bargaining agreement. But I don’t see GMs doing that for a center who has missed so much time due to injury. Two years, maybe with a team option for three? That sounds about right. But teams are going to want to minimize their risk.
There certainly is value in what Chandler brings. Anybody watching the NBA finals can see the value of having a big man who can defend the rim, rebound and just be a force in the paint. When healthy, Chandler can be those things.
And the reports are that he is healthy. And he will be just 28 next year.
But general managers — especially this summer, in this economy — are not going to risk big money on a role player who could be injury prone. Sometimes the bird in the hand is the better bet.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20