Jun 11, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
History is not going to record Doc Rivers as the same level of coach as Phil Jackson. Because he’s not.
But right now, with this team, Rivers is every bit the coach he has to be, every bit the match for Jackson. And Jackson knows it. Today at his press conference he threw some love toward Rivers. And the Celtics veterans, as well.
But I’ll tell you what he’s done well, he’s done well with match-ups. He’s done well in attacking some of our weaker guys out there on the floor in situations that’s given them an advantage. I thought he’s used his bench exceptionally well.
As far as the other stuff, the players that he has on the team, they’re all — they’re experienced players. During the regular season they knew what was important about the year. The year was important about coming in the playoffs and playing, the Garnetts and the Pierces and the Allens and the Wallaces, they’ve been through these things, they know a little bit about what’s important. Sometimes those last 15, 20 games in the regular season can get to be arduous and you can beat a dead horse into a situation you don’t want to get into, and I think Doc rode his team the right way.
So they came into the playoffs knowing what was important. It’s the second season that’s important in this game, and they’ve come in with a good amount of energy and the right team play here.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?