Jun 11, 2010, 1:54 PM EST
Right now, Chicago is the leading non-Cleveland candidate in the LeBron James sweepstakes.
We think. LeBron isn’t talking, and neither are the people really on the inside of the circle (and if they are it’s not to reveal anything, just to gain leverage). So there’s a lot of Kremlinology going on, and a lot of, “someone who knows someone in the inner circle is saying…” stuff.
Which leads us to an interesting report on RealGM.com. Someone that knows someone says LeBron was not looking at Chicago at all at first.
According to two sources with knowledge of the thinking within the inner circle of LeBron James, the Chicago Bulls were a late addition to the list of teams he would genuinely consider in order to establish an alternative to the New York Knicks should he decide to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers this summer.
Clearly the fans in Chicago were on board the “LeBron to Chicago” train long before LeBron himself.
The story gives three reasons for the late Chicago add. First, just to provide some alternative to the, “he will be a Knick” rumor. Second, the concern that while LeBron in New York would be exhilarating, it could also be exhausting. Finally, having options gives him leverage in negotiating marketing deals outside his contract.
There is some logic to all that, but who really knows. Right now we’re all looking at who is standing next to Brezhnev and trying to discern the truth from that. It’s all educated guesses.
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23