Jun 11, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
Right now, Chicago is the leading non-Cleveland candidate in the LeBron James sweepstakes.
We think. LeBron isn’t talking, and neither are the people really on the inside of the circle (and if they are it’s not to reveal anything, just to gain leverage). So there’s a lot of Kremlinology going on, and a lot of, “someone who knows someone in the inner circle is saying…” stuff.
Which leads us to an interesting report on RealGM.com. Someone that knows someone says LeBron was not looking at Chicago at all at first.
According to two sources with knowledge of the thinking within the inner circle of LeBron James, the Chicago Bulls were a late addition to the list of teams he would genuinely consider in order to establish an alternative to the New York Knicks should he decide to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers this summer.
Clearly the fans in Chicago were on board the “LeBron to Chicago” train long before LeBron himself.
The story gives three reasons for the late Chicago add. First, just to provide some alternative to the, “he will be a Knick” rumor. Second, the concern that while LeBron in New York would be exhilarating, it could also be exhausting. Finally, having options gives him leverage in negotiating marketing deals outside his contract.
There is some logic to all that, but who really knows. Right now we’re all looking at who is standing next to Brezhnev and trying to discern the truth from that. It’s all educated guesses.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31