Jun 11, 2010, 1:54 PM EDT
Right now, Chicago is the leading non-Cleveland candidate in the LeBron James sweepstakes.
We think. LeBron isn’t talking, and neither are the people really on the inside of the circle (and if they are it’s not to reveal anything, just to gain leverage). So there’s a lot of Kremlinology going on, and a lot of, “someone who knows someone in the inner circle is saying…” stuff.
Which leads us to an interesting report on RealGM.com. Someone that knows someone says LeBron was not looking at Chicago at all at first.
According to two sources with knowledge of the thinking within the inner circle of LeBron James, the Chicago Bulls were a late addition to the list of teams he would genuinely consider in order to establish an alternative to the New York Knicks should he decide to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers this summer.
Clearly the fans in Chicago were on board the “LeBron to Chicago” train long before LeBron himself.
The story gives three reasons for the late Chicago add. First, just to provide some alternative to the, “he will be a Knick” rumor. Second, the concern that while LeBron in New York would be exhilarating, it could also be exhausting. Finally, having options gives him leverage in negotiating marketing deals outside his contract.
There is some logic to all that, but who really knows. Right now we’re all looking at who is standing next to Brezhnev and trying to discern the truth from that. It’s all educated guesses.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18