Jun 10, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
This was a no brainer, because good and affordable backup point guards are not easy to come by, but the Mavericks are about to pick up the option on J.J. Barea.
Barea gave the Mavericks a solid 20 minutes, 7.6 points and 3.3 assists per game off the bench. He shoots at a decent rate — including 35 percent from three — and he can also get to the rim.
He is owned $1.8 million next year, which is a very reasonable price for 20 quality minutes. Everyone knew this was coming, but a report in the Dallas Morning News makes it all but official.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 18
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 66
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8