Jun 10, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
This was a no brainer, because good and affordable backup point guards are not easy to come by, but the Mavericks are about to pick up the option on J.J. Barea.
Barea gave the Mavericks a solid 20 minutes, 7.6 points and 3.3 assists per game off the bench. He shoots at a decent rate — including 35 percent from three — and he can also get to the rim.
He is owned $1.8 million next year, which is a very reasonable price for 20 quality minutes. Everyone knew this was coming, but a report in the Dallas Morning News makes it all but official.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 29
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 22
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 42
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5