Jun 10, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
This was a no brainer, because good and affordable backup point guards are not easy to come by, but the Mavericks are about to pick up the option on J.J. Barea.
Barea gave the Mavericks a solid 20 minutes, 7.6 points and 3.3 assists per game off the bench. He shoots at a decent rate — including 35 percent from three — and he can also get to the rim.
He is owned $1.8 million next year, which is a very reasonable price for 20 quality minutes. Everyone knew this was coming, but a report in the Dallas Morning News makes it all but official.
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 32
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 17
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6