Jun 10, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
This was a no brainer, because good and affordable backup point guards are not easy to come by, but the Mavericks are about to pick up the option on J.J. Barea.
Barea gave the Mavericks a solid 20 minutes, 7.6 points and 3.3 assists per game off the bench. He shoots at a decent rate — including 35 percent from three — and he can also get to the rim.
He is owned $1.8 million next year, which is a very reasonable price for 20 quality minutes. Everyone knew this was coming, but a report in the Dallas Morning News makes it all but official.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50