Jun 10, 2010, 1:44 PM EST
There’s a point to this. Just hang with me.
Larry Brown Sports is reporting that Wednesday night Dwyane Wade, along with girlfriend Gabrielle Union, was spotted at a restaurant in LA with Chris Bosh during a small get together.
Okay, I’m going to take a second here and let you get your cries of rampant speculation and pathetic over-reporting out of the way. Yes, the two are friends. Yes, they were just hanging out. Yes, it is very common for NBA players to do this. No, I will not go do that to myself, that is quite rude.
Now, the relevance of this little anecdote.
It’s absolutely true that players do meet like this all the time. What’s more provocative is the timing. Wade has been very clear that he intends to re-sign with Miami, saying his “heart” is there. Obviously he retains the right to change his mind depending on what his fellow All-Stars do and how the team directions shake out. But if we assume that Wade enters free agency committed to drawing one of his cohorts back to South Beach, this could be a sign that Wade is well out in front.
LeBron is doing promotional visits and expanding his brand. Amar’e Stoudemire has gone underground. Meanwhile, Wade is visiting Bosh in LA. It’s yet another indicator that Wade is the most committed of the top tier summit players in pursuing a championship.
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 13
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 26
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 11
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20