NBA finals, Lakers Celtics: Doc Rivers complains about officiating, dabbles in irony

Jun 9, 2010, 5:46 PM EST

Rivers_referees.jpgLet’s be clear up front: The officiating during the NBA finals has not been good. Fans from Boston to Los Angeles have been complaining as games have been called tight and stars have been in foul trouble.

Wednesday it was Doc Rivers turn to flirt with a fine from the league, as reported by ESPN’s Chris Sheridan.

“I think it was a ton of moving screens they got away with,” Rivers said the day after the Celtics’ 91-84 loss to the Lakers in Game 3 put the Celtics behind 2-1 in the best-of-7 series. “As far as off-the-ball action … you are not allowed to hold, you are not allowed to bump, and you are not allowed to impede progress. I read that this morning, and I’m positive of it. So, you know, when that happens it has to be called.”

“It’s huge,” Rivers said. “We’ve had all three games where one of our quote-unquote Big Three has not been able to play.

“Last night, Paul was never in his rhythm. He couldn’t be. He played for four minutes, he was back on the bench, played for five minutes. I mean, I played Paul at times last night when I should not have had him on the floor with four fouls, but I had no choice. You’ve got to get him on the floor at some point.

“But it clearly — you know, we watched film today, and I showed Paul, it’s funny. I said ‘Paul, that’s a driving lane. You’ve got to get to the basket.’ His response was: ‘I was worried about getting another foul.’ It’s tough to play that way.”

He wasn’t complaining in Game 2 when Kobe Bryant had to play that way.

I don’t blame Rivers for being frustrated. He should be. But so far the Lakers have adjusted better to the officiating than the Celtics, and that’s one of the reasons they lead the series. The Lakers, more a finesse team, my also find it easier to adjust.

That or the inconsistent officiating is so random nobody ever really adjusts.

Today it was Rivers turn to work the officials through the media. At some point in the next few days it will be Phil Jackson’s turn. And so the cycle of life continues.

1. Lakers4Lyfe - Jun 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Well, that’s the whole Celtics defense … what are they gonna do now? This whole quote from the Cs is just laughable. I mean, really.
    Yea, Fisher really flopped when KG about took his head off on that drive. Sure. You becha. I watched the last 5 minutes of the game last night and almost every call went to the Celtics. They really have nothing to whine about here. They got outplayed. Doc should be fined for this morass, just like Phil was earlier. Fine him at least $25,000. The refs did everything they could to keep the Celtics in the game down the stretch. There were so many no calls against the Celtics it was ridiculous.

2. eric - Jun 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

22-60

3. Ron Young - Jun 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I agree the officiating is horrible and inconsistent but equally bad for both teams. They do not call steps on the Celtics and miss most of the blocks or charging calls on both teams. Most of my friends are convinced the NBA finals are fixed. Doc Rivers should be ashamed of himself because the Celtics are definitely a team who crys on almost every call againstm them. They have for years.

4. sb - Jun 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM

You are a moron if you think tha this series is in the tank for LA. The NBA+WWF is in full effect Free throws 41-25 game 2 and we still win. In boston 27 fouls celtics 20 lakers Game 2 more ft’s that fg’s for the lakers A joke. The calls that are made are an ablsoulute disgrace to a league taht used to be great.

5. Da Real - Jun 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM

This has been the most active officiating group I have ever seen. They are ruining the game. We would all prefer no calls to phantom calls. The amount of phantom calls in this series is astronomical. Half the fouls they call are replayed afterwards showing there was indeed no foul. What is going on here Mr Stern? Your refs need to be reminded that fans don’t want to even know they are there.

6. No name - Jun 9, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Let’s be fair, the game is fixed. First they give it to the Celtics so they loose, then the Lakers so they loose. It is all about how many games can be televised so the NBA makes money. It isn’t a game anymore. Watch the next game and see who gets away with it (hummm, who do they want to win the championship….)

7. lakers4Lyfe - Jun 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Face it. The Celtics are getting beat at their own game and they can’t handle it. That’s the bottom line. The writer here put it pretty well and kudos to Kurt for calling it.

“Let the irony of that paragraph sink in, really savor it. For the past few years there has been no team that has bumped, grabbed and impeded progress like the Celtics. Suddenly it’s a big problem.”

8. Lakers4Lyfe - Jun 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM

LA is overrated, I admit. The Celtics will give me the dirty sanchez when all is said and done, and I will love it.

9. chownoir - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM

SB,
    I noticed you conveniently didn’t bother listing Game 1 when Boston had more FT’s than Lakers.
    In Game 3, the FT’s were even. Nice selective use of stats there.

10. Anonymous - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Are you kidding me ? Of all the NBA teams, 2 of them should Never,
    Never, Never complain about any officials in any of their home games.
    That is Boston and Utah; just because they play at home does not mean they should be allowed to play tackle basketball.

11. Nathan - Jun 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I’m not a fan of either team, but its really ironic and borderline hysterical that Doc Rivers is complaining about flops. Apparently he forgot/doesn’t care about the call against Rashard Lewis when Rondo took the dive against him, game 3 or 4 in that series I think. And Paul Pierce flops more than the entire Lakers team combined, just watch his face anytime someone even touches him he already starts whining like a baby wanting a bottle.
    Having said all that, there does need to be something done about these foul calls. I propose the following: 1. After the game is over and the tape reviewed, if it is found that someone took a dive then they need to be have a personal foul added to their total for the next game. 2. If points were awarded via free throws were awarded because of a flop then these points need to be taken off the teams total, if it affects the outcome of a game retroactively so be it. 3. If in a series like this then points should be added to the others teams score for the next game, that will really punish players for taking dives.

12. buck rogers - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Wats every body wining about? Adjust like the lakers. U don’t here them wining about fouls. Life goes on. Get a life.

13. fooshoo - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:31 PM

theres no way anyone could watch any of the games and not think that something is going on. I dont care if ur a celtics fan or a laker fan. Everyone game so far top stars have been in foul trouble. Theres no way any team can play like that specially during the finals when you need your top stars to play. either the finals are rigged or if not then the refs need to let them play and not call bs fouls on both teams.

14. buck rogers - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I admit the refs the been effing up a lot of call in the finals. They kind of cleaned up in game 3. Look like they just picked on PP and RA for fouls. Make u want 2 say hummmmm. They got to get this s@#t together before the finals end.

15. Ken-in-K - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Trouble is I am rather old, eighty-three as a matter of fact. When I was a bit younger and playing basketball it was a non-contact sport. Wouldn’t that be the world’s greatest joke if the officials went back to that and called a foul every time the least contact was made. No question mark needed for rhetorical questions.

16. deiong - Jun 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

that takes a lot of huevos, to complain about the refs when he’s the coach of the dirtiest team in nba history..

17. joe - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I agree, they tried to give the game to the Celtics, but the Celtics just couldn’t compete even with the 3 person stripe crew advantage.

18. phil collins - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM

i’m presuming that keeping boston’s best player in foul trouble throughout was part of the ref’s strategy to “try to give the celtics the game”. moron.

19. Anonymous - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Your mama is a moran. The lakers have it in the bag fool!!! I bet your moma on it. Hehehehe!

20. Anonymous - Jun 9, 2010 at 11:59 PM

It’s funny how the idiot coach rivers complains about moving screens, that’s all they do when they tried to pick off Fisher!!! rivers is just pissed because the Lakers beat them at thier own dirty style of playing. Haha! The joke is on them, they will lose again and again.

21. buck rogers - Jun 10, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Speaking of David Stern. I think he should step down. He’s not doing a good job controlling the officials. As a commish, you should be straighten this sh&t out.

22. bpzo - Jun 10, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Hey Doc, what about that play late the 4th when Rondo raked Odom’s arm on a rebound, then got the ball back on the review. Talk about a complete joke. And I pretty much lost count of all the forearms to DFish’s face Allen threw. Again, a complete joke. Shut your piehole, Doc!

23. buck rogers - Jun 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Boston! No excuses bout the calls. It was there for the taking. They was down by 1 in the 4th qtr and they didn’t even take the advantage @ all. So wat the f@#k is Doc Rivers is talking about. The C’s had numerous opportunities to get lead. They need 2 shut the f@#K up.

24. cscha - Jun 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I don’t know what games some people are watching but it is not the same ones that are being aired on T V. The Celtics whine about all the calls? I did see a bit of it from the Celtics, but if you want to see world class whining just look at the spoiled whinny a– Lakers. The leader of the whining is Pau, just watch him on almost any call, I think he is going to break out in real tears one of these times. The Lakers or as they are better known, Scum bag and the Whiners are a talented team, that I freely admit. They have some good talent (not the best ever because Kobe will never be that)and some of the worst i.e. Luke Walton who made it to the NBA on daddy’s name. He is perfect for a bench nimrod who can give them a body and who they don’t have to pay too much, but if he ever goes around waving the rings about and claiming to be a big time NBA champion he should be ashamed and will only become a laughing stock. As for the zen master well where do you think the players learn all that whining? Wonderful how such a storied team as the Lakers have degraded to so low a level.

25. Rick92886 - Jun 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM

You are a true Laker HATER. The Lakers talent out ways the Celtics, that has been proven. It seems like 99% of the world sees Kobe at one of the greatest, you really have your head up your own a%%.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches