Jun 9, 2010, 12:51 PM EST
Tom Izzo is reaching out for advice on what to do — stay at Michigan State or make double his current salary and coach the Cleveland Cavaliers.?
We and pretty much everyone else has suggested that Izzo’s decision has to hinge on LeBron James.
Izzo talked to former Michigan State coach Jud Heathcote (the guy who brought Magic Johnson to East Lansing and won an NCCA title with him) and he is thinking the same thing we all are. That’s what Heathcote told the Detroit Daily News.
“I honestly think he’ll look at this,” Heathcote said. “But unless he can get some commitment from LeBron James, the job isn’t that good. I think a lot hinges on what (Izzo) feels about LeBron’s future. I think he’s seriously considering it. He’s going to look at it like he does on all things but he’s got an awfully good situation at Michigan State, too.”
LeBron James has spent the last two years keeping his options open. LeBron has a free agent tour planned. He is not about to close off those options for Tom Izzo or anyone else. Nobody is going to know what LeBron is doing for a little while, maybe a month from now.
Is Izzo going to leave Michigan State hanging for a month waiting for LeBron? Are the Cavaliers going to wait a month for a word from Izzo? Not bloody likely, as our British friends would say.
Welcome to the Cavalier’s limbo state. We’ll be here about a month. Make yourself comfortable.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 6
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12