Jun 9, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT
Tom Izzo is reaching out for advice on what to do — stay at Michigan State or make double his current salary and coach the Cleveland Cavaliers.?
We and pretty much everyone else has suggested that Izzo’s decision has to hinge on LeBron James.
Izzo talked to former Michigan State coach Jud Heathcote (the guy who brought Magic Johnson to East Lansing and won an NCCA title with him) and he is thinking the same thing we all are. That’s what Heathcote told the Detroit Daily News.
“I honestly think he’ll look at this,” Heathcote said. “But unless he can get some commitment from LeBron James, the job isn’t that good. I think a lot hinges on what (Izzo) feels about LeBron’s future. I think he’s seriously considering it. He’s going to look at it like he does on all things but he’s got an awfully good situation at Michigan State, too.”
LeBron James has spent the last two years keeping his options open. LeBron has a free agent tour planned. He is not about to close off those options for Tom Izzo or anyone else. Nobody is going to know what LeBron is doing for a little while, maybe a month from now.
Is Izzo going to leave Michigan State hanging for a month waiting for LeBron? Are the Cavaliers going to wait a month for a word from Izzo? Not bloody likely, as our British friends would say.
Welcome to the Cavalier’s limbo state. We’ll be here about a month. Make yourself comfortable.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?