Jun 9, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
Lest there was any remaining doubt, let it be known that Amar’e Stoudemire wants to get paid.
He told the kids at his basketball camp in Phoenix yesterday that there is “no chance” he would exercise his $17.5 million option for next season. He will become a free agent if the Suns don’t re-sign him before July 1. Associated Press had the report, and added he said he thought he deserved a max deal.
The Suns max deal is more than any other team can offer, six years at about $127 million ($30 million and one more year than others can offer).
None of this is a surprise. But if had not been for a post All-Star Game surge from Stoudemire, he may have had a harder time getting that money. If the Suns don’t pay it, teams like the Miami Heat may.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37