Jun 9, 2010, 10:02 AM EST
Lest there was any remaining doubt, let it be known that Amar’e Stoudemire wants to get paid.
He told the kids at his basketball camp in Phoenix yesterday that there is “no chance” he would exercise his $17.5 million option for next season. He will become a free agent if the Suns don’t re-sign him before July 1. Associated Press had the report, and added he said he thought he deserved a max deal.
The Suns max deal is more than any other team can offer, six years at about $127 million ($30 million and one more year than others can offer).
None of this is a surprise. But if had not been for a post All-Star Game surge from Stoudemire, he may have had a harder time getting that money. If the Suns don’t pay it, teams like the Miami Heat may.
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 27
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20