Jun 9, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
Lest there was any remaining doubt, let it be known that Amar’e Stoudemire wants to get paid.
He told the kids at his basketball camp in Phoenix yesterday that there is “no chance” he would exercise his $17.5 million option for next season. He will become a free agent if the Suns don’t re-sign him before July 1. Associated Press had the report, and added he said he thought he deserved a max deal.
The Suns max deal is more than any other team can offer, six years at about $127 million ($30 million and one more year than others can offer).
None of this is a surprise. But if had not been for a post All-Star Game surge from Stoudemire, he may have had a harder time getting that money. If the Suns don’t pay it, teams like the Miami Heat may.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8