Jun 9, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
Lest there was any remaining doubt, let it be known that Amar’e Stoudemire wants to get paid.
He told the kids at his basketball camp in Phoenix yesterday that there is “no chance” he would exercise his $17.5 million option for next season. He will become a free agent if the Suns don’t re-sign him before July 1. Associated Press had the report, and added he said he thought he deserved a max deal.
The Suns max deal is more than any other team can offer, six years at about $127 million ($30 million and one more year than others can offer).
None of this is a surprise. But if had not been for a post All-Star Game surge from Stoudemire, he may have had a harder time getting that money. If the Suns don’t pay it, teams like the Miami Heat may.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 47
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42