Jun 8, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
With all due respect to the great Tom Ziller, not many people choose Sacramento.
It’s a place people end up. It’s a seat of power (California’s capital), but as a metropolitan center, well… let’s just say it’s lacking. You don’t hear major free agents to be raving about the nightlife in Sac Town. Not like in, say, Toronto.
But Hedo Turkoglu is not like most people. He wants out of Toronto and to return to Sacramento and is telling his friends around the league that, according to Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Turkoglu wants to be traded, I want to drive a Maserati. Life’s tough that way. The reality is Turkoglu will be hard to move anywhere. Nobody really wants to take on his crappy contract– four years left starting at $9.8 million and going up to $12 million. Plus, everybody knows he wants to be traded so they are going to stick it to Brian Colangelo in negotiations.
To make a deal, the Raptors are going to have to take on some crappy contracts. What a great selling tool to keep Chris Bosh in town. In the case of Sacramento, they would likely try to ship Andres Nocioni and parts in any deal with Toronto, Wojnarowski speculates. That sounds about right. And terrible.
Besides, Sacramento has a young core with Tyreke Evans to build around, young players that can grow up in the league together. Turkoglu is 31 years old and expensive. Not exactly a good fit, even if the Kings do need someone at the three spot.
Turkoglu is going to find reality is not as much fun as driving a Maserati.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 3
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44