Jun 8, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
With all due respect to the great Tom Ziller, not many people choose Sacramento.
It’s a place people end up. It’s a seat of power (California’s capital), but as a metropolitan center, well… let’s just say it’s lacking. You don’t hear major free agents to be raving about the nightlife in Sac Town. Not like in, say, Toronto.
But Hedo Turkoglu is not like most people. He wants out of Toronto and to return to Sacramento and is telling his friends around the league that, according to Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Turkoglu wants to be traded, I want to drive a Maserati. Life’s tough that way. The reality is Turkoglu will be hard to move anywhere. Nobody really wants to take on his crappy contract– four years left starting at $9.8 million and going up to $12 million. Plus, everybody knows he wants to be traded so they are going to stick it to Brian Colangelo in negotiations.
To make a deal, the Raptors are going to have to take on some crappy contracts. What a great selling tool to keep Chris Bosh in town. In the case of Sacramento, they would likely try to ship Andres Nocioni and parts in any deal with Toronto, Wojnarowski speculates. That sounds about right. And terrible.
Besides, Sacramento has a young core with Tyreke Evans to build around, young players that can grow up in the league together. Turkoglu is 31 years old and expensive. Not exactly a good fit, even if the Kings do need someone at the three spot.
Turkoglu is going to find reality is not as much fun as driving a Maserati.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12