Jun 8, 2010, 6:29 PM EST
While the world’s top national teams — including Team USA — are focusing on Turkey this summer and the FIBA World Championships, there are a number of other events drawing other teams.
Like the 2010 Asian Games. Iran will be taking part in that, playing basketball, but they may not have their best player, Hamed Haddadi. That according to the Mehr News Agency out of Tehran.
“The Asian Games are not an official tournament, so I’m obliged to stay in the U.S. However, Iranian officials are now negotiating with my team to allow me to accompany Iran in China,” the 2.18 meter player said.
The Grizzlies will participate in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July. Haddadi took part in the event last season as a substitute.
“I rather not go with the Grizzlies to the NBA Summer League this season, but Iran’s Basketball Federation President Mahmoud Mashhoon insists that I should accompany the NBA team to safeguard my position there,” Haddadi added.
He’s rather not go to Vegas in July, when it’s still 100 degrees out at 11 at night? I can’t imagine why not?
That said, Haddadi’s place is safe with the Grizzlies next season in this sense, he is owed $1.6 million in a guaranteed deal. He will be on the roster. Playing time, well, it’s hard to get minutes behind Marc Gasol and Hasheem Thabeet and center, with Zach Randolph at the four as well. Haddadi is going to have to really earn his burn with that team.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 0
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 6
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13