Jun 8, 2010, 6:29 PM EST
While the world’s top national teams — including Team USA — are focusing on Turkey this summer and the FIBA World Championships, there are a number of other events drawing other teams.
Like the 2010 Asian Games. Iran will be taking part in that, playing basketball, but they may not have their best player, Hamed Haddadi. That according to the Mehr News Agency out of Tehran.
“The Asian Games are not an official tournament, so I’m obliged to stay in the U.S. However, Iranian officials are now negotiating with my team to allow me to accompany Iran in China,” the 2.18 meter player said.
The Grizzlies will participate in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July. Haddadi took part in the event last season as a substitute.
“I rather not go with the Grizzlies to the NBA Summer League this season, but Iran’s Basketball Federation President Mahmoud Mashhoon insists that I should accompany the NBA team to safeguard my position there,” Haddadi added.
He’s rather not go to Vegas in July, when it’s still 100 degrees out at 11 at night? I can’t imagine why not?
That said, Haddadi’s place is safe with the Grizzlies next season in this sense, he is owed $1.6 million in a guaranteed deal. He will be on the roster. Playing time, well, it’s hard to get minutes behind Marc Gasol and Hasheem Thabeet and center, with Zach Randolph at the four as well. Haddadi is going to have to really earn his burn with that team.
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 6
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 1
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 15
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 1
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (51)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)