Jun 8, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Don Nelson is in Maui right now.
For the record, I wish I were in Maui right now. I’d be a much better blogger in Maui. Or at least I’d have the best tan of any NBA blogger. Which really is a pretty easy honor to achieve.
But I am not the coach of an NBA team with the sixth pick in the draft. I am not going to have to figure out if I would prefer Greg Monroe or Al-Farouq Aminu or Wesley Johnson or Ekpe Udoh.
Don Nelson does. And despite this age of instant digital communications, usually teams do a lot of the key draft prep with the coach, general manager, scouts and others in the same room.
But the San Jose Mercury News is reporting Nelson is not to be seen around the Warriors compound. And that says more about how the sale of the franchise is progressing than anything else.
Nelson, who was a very visible part of the Warriors’ draft prep the last two years, by all reports has remained in Maui as the team has gone through the first wave of draft workouts.
It’s not so much Nelson checking out as Nelson reading the room: Once the team is sold, he will no longer by the Warriors coach. He is o-u-t, and he knows it. (General manager) Larry Riley will be out, too, but he has to keep working through the draft process because that’s his specific job.
Looks like the sale is moving along pretty well, if this is any indication.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona