Jun 7, 2010, 9:33 PM EST
Let’s get the facts out of the way first:
With 1:12 left in Game 2 and the Celtics up by seven, Paul Pierce came over to help Kevin Garnett up off the ground and said:
Here is the video, via Sports By Brooks, and Pierce is clearly saying it.
Some Lakers fans are taking offense at this. Some Celtics fans are taking this as a sign of the confidence of their team to take the whole thing. Both fan bases are delusional (which we knew going into this series).
So, in the heat of the moment, Paul Pierce talked trash. His team was about to even the NBA finals on the road, and he was pumped up and talking smack to a fan.
So what? Athletes stay stuff in the heat of an intense game all the time, things that are far worse. To fans, to refs, to each other. Pick up games at the Y have worse trash talk, let alone what gets said on the interior of an NFL line.
But, some microphone picked this up and it is a story. Look, the 2-3-2 NBA finals format punishes the road team something fierce. Winning three games in a row — even at home — against a quality opponent is a real long shot. The Lakers are going to win one of the games in Boston, at least. What, you think a Rondo triple-double and a Ray Allen three-point record are going to happen nightly?
Then the Celtics will have to win one more on the road. Probably a Game 7. And that’s what we all want to see anyway. Whatever Paul Pierce says during a game.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 32
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 30
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10