Jun 7, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Someone is going to overpay Rudy Gay this summer.
Don’t get me wrong, Gay is a good player with the potential to be damn good, he’s a quality get. But some team that missed out on the LeBron/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes is going to set their sights on Gay as someone they can sell to fans. Then they are going to remember that Memphis owner Michael Heisley has said he will match any offer to keep Gay a Grizzlies.
So some team will make an offer to Gay they think Heisley will not match. They will overpay him.
The Minnesota Timberwolves will be in the “going after Gay” line, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
This makes some sense — the triangle offense requires a strong wing player, in the mold of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. It needs a lot of other things, too. Things that Minnesota doesn’t have. But Gay makes some sense in the system and fills a need.
But the price for Gay may end up being steeper than Minnesota — or any rational team — is willing to pay. You can bet, though, that someone is going to pay it.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 4
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 15
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 24
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29