Jun 7, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Someone is going to overpay Rudy Gay this summer.
Don’t get me wrong, Gay is a good player with the potential to be damn good, he’s a quality get. But some team that missed out on the LeBron/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes is going to set their sights on Gay as someone they can sell to fans. Then they are going to remember that Memphis owner Michael Heisley has said he will match any offer to keep Gay a Grizzlies.
So some team will make an offer to Gay they think Heisley will not match. They will overpay him.
The Minnesota Timberwolves will be in the “going after Gay” line, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
This makes some sense — the triangle offense requires a strong wing player, in the mold of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. It needs a lot of other things, too. Things that Minnesota doesn’t have. But Gay makes some sense in the system and fills a need.
But the price for Gay may end up being steeper than Minnesota — or any rational team — is willing to pay. You can bet, though, that someone is going to pay it.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 3
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay