Jun 7, 2010, 11:35 AM EDT
The Clippers are being very deliberate in their search for a new head coach.
Deliberate is a kind word. Painfully slow may be another way to put it. Waiting for LeBron to choose may be another. Waiting for Godot may be most accurate.
But some Clippers players are making themselves heard, according to the Journal Times. They want current Milwaukee assistant Kelvin Sampson.
Sampson coached Oklahoma and Indiana before joining the Bucks and has a good rapport with Clippers power forward Blake Griffin (Oklahoma) and Clippers shooting guard Eric Gordon (Indiana).
All this brings us back to the key question as the Clippers coaching search currently stands: Who is making the decision? Owner Donald Sterling likes flirt with prospective coaches, but not get involved in the actual hiring. Team president Andy Roeser may be the man making the call. Or maybe General Manager Neil Olshey consulting with Roeser and Sterling. Or maybe LeBron James. Or maybe a Magic 8 ball.
How much influence Griffin and Gordon have over Roeser, Olshey or the Magic 8 ball is hard to guess. But probably not much in any case.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4