Jun 7, 2010, 11:35 AM EST
The Clippers are being very deliberate in their search for a new head coach.
Deliberate is a kind word. Painfully slow may be another way to put it. Waiting for LeBron to choose may be another. Waiting for Godot may be most accurate.
But some Clippers players are making themselves heard, according to the Journal Times. They want current Milwaukee assistant Kelvin Sampson.
Sampson coached Oklahoma and Indiana before joining the Bucks and has a good rapport with Clippers power forward Blake Griffin (Oklahoma) and Clippers shooting guard Eric Gordon (Indiana).
All this brings us back to the key question as the Clippers coaching search currently stands: Who is making the decision? Owner Donald Sterling likes flirt with prospective coaches, but not get involved in the actual hiring. Team president Andy Roeser may be the man making the call. Or maybe General Manager Neil Olshey consulting with Roeser and Sterling. Or maybe LeBron James. Or maybe a Magic 8 ball.
How much influence Griffin and Gordon have over Roeser, Olshey or the Magic 8 ball is hard to guess. But probably not much in any case.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 41
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8