Jun 7, 2010, 11:35 AM EDT
The Clippers are being very deliberate in their search for a new head coach.
Deliberate is a kind word. Painfully slow may be another way to put it. Waiting for LeBron to choose may be another. Waiting for Godot may be most accurate.
But some Clippers players are making themselves heard, according to the Journal Times. They want current Milwaukee assistant Kelvin Sampson.
Sampson coached Oklahoma and Indiana before joining the Bucks and has a good rapport with Clippers power forward Blake Griffin (Oklahoma) and Clippers shooting guard Eric Gordon (Indiana).
All this brings us back to the key question as the Clippers coaching search currently stands: Who is making the decision? Owner Donald Sterling likes flirt with prospective coaches, but not get involved in the actual hiring. Team president Andy Roeser may be the man making the call. Or maybe General Manager Neil Olshey consulting with Roeser and Sterling. Or maybe LeBron James. Or maybe a Magic 8 ball.
How much influence Griffin and Gordon have over Roeser, Olshey or the Magic 8 ball is hard to guess. But probably not much in any case.
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 13
- Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before 1
- 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year 25
- Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air 13
- 2014 PBT Awards: Sixth Man of the Year 14