Jun 7, 2010, 11:35 AM EST
The Clippers are being very deliberate in their search for a new head coach.
Deliberate is a kind word. Painfully slow may be another way to put it. Waiting for LeBron to choose may be another. Waiting for Godot may be most accurate.
But some Clippers players are making themselves heard, according to the Journal Times. They want current Milwaukee assistant Kelvin Sampson.
Sampson coached Oklahoma and Indiana before joining the Bucks and has a good rapport with Clippers power forward Blake Griffin (Oklahoma) and Clippers shooting guard Eric Gordon (Indiana).
All this brings us back to the key question as the Clippers coaching search currently stands: Who is making the decision? Owner Donald Sterling likes flirt with prospective coaches, but not get involved in the actual hiring. Team president Andy Roeser may be the man making the call. Or maybe General Manager Neil Olshey consulting with Roeser and Sterling. Or maybe LeBron James. Or maybe a Magic 8 ball.
How much influence Griffin and Gordon have over Roeser, Olshey or the Magic 8 ball is hard to guess. But probably not much in any case.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 2
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 6
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 13
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8