Jun 7, 2010, 11:35 AM EDT
The Clippers are being very deliberate in their search for a new head coach.
Deliberate is a kind word. Painfully slow may be another way to put it. Waiting for LeBron to choose may be another. Waiting for Godot may be most accurate.
But some Clippers players are making themselves heard, according to the Journal Times. They want current Milwaukee assistant Kelvin Sampson.
Sampson coached Oklahoma and Indiana before joining the Bucks and has a good rapport with Clippers power forward Blake Griffin (Oklahoma) and Clippers shooting guard Eric Gordon (Indiana).
All this brings us back to the key question as the Clippers coaching search currently stands: Who is making the decision? Owner Donald Sterling likes flirt with prospective coaches, but not get involved in the actual hiring. Team president Andy Roeser may be the man making the call. Or maybe General Manager Neil Olshey consulting with Roeser and Sterling. Or maybe LeBron James. Or maybe a Magic 8 ball.
How much influence Griffin and Gordon have over Roeser, Olshey or the Magic 8 ball is hard to guess. But probably not much in any case.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10