Jun 7, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
The Nets are still talking to other candidates and keeping their options open, but the scuttlebutt is the job is going to Avery Johnson.
Even Byron Scott — a man really looking for a chance to return to the NBA, but with almost no chance of returning to New Jersey — thinks so, and that’s what he told the New York Daily News.
“He’s the front-runner, and I think he’d be a very good fit in New Jersey,” former Nets coach Byron Scott told the Daily News before Sunday night’s Game 2 of the Finals between the Lakers and Celtics. “Avery is good for that situation.”
“He’s a good teacher and obviously, he’s an old-school type coach,” Scott said. “He’s a disciplinarian. And, he had Devin Harris, before in Dallas, and I think Devin has a lot of respect for him. And Avery definitely loves Devin, from the talks I’ve had with him.”
“So unless Rod wants to coach – and I know he doesn’t want to do that – I think Avery is the front-runner,” said Scott. “I can’t think of anyone else they’d be looking at.”
New Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov has been looking for a way to make a big splash. Didn’t get it by winning the lottery. He isn’t going to get Phil Jackson or some other A-list coach (Johnson’s a name be not in that class).
So I guess that leaves free agency.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29