Jun 6, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Seriously, if I’m Kevin Pritchard, I’m going to the beach.
After Adrian Wojnarowski (who by the way is collecting breaking story scalps this weekend like Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall while everyone else is focused on some silly game Sunday night) broke the news that the Blazers had hired a head hunter to search for replacement for Pritchard at General Manager, Jason Quick follows up with the news that Jerry West has been linked to interest from the Blazers for the position.
Geez, talk about digging the grave before the body’s cold. The man’s still breathing!
Pritchard hasn’t been formally fired, but according to various reports, Vulcan Inc. considers Pritchard to be an egomaniac, similar to Tom Penn, who was released a few months ago.
Because, you know, egos aren’t really prevalent in sports.
Pritchard may have a bit of a big head on him, but at the same time, he’s brought prosperity back to the Blazers and has them in a position to contend. He’s smart, careful, considerate, and has only made a handful of mistakes during his term. Ditching him would be a critical mistake given not only his savvy, but his aggressiveness. On the other hand, you have to wonder if there’s more going on here than is being reported. Something seems wrong about this, either way.
West is a fairly standard choice, tossed up for every vacant GM job. He’s the Jeff Van Gundy of GM’s a this point. But West is also 72 years old, and seems to have enjoyed his retirement. Plus, this would mean him managing a team in the same division as his club in the playing days. With the way the NBA has been over the last several years, that could wind up with Brandon Roy being traded for Sasha Vujacic and a box of Ho-Hos. Okay, not really, but West doesn’t look like the kind of candidate the Blazers would be looking for.
Of course, Kevin Pritchard does, so who knows what will happen at Drama Central in Oregon?
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final