Jun 5, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
UPDATE 2:40 PM: K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune is reporting that Thibodeau has accepted the Bulls’ offer, but neither team will officially announce his decision until after the NBA finals have concluded.
1:59 pm: The New Orleans Hornets moved on from Tom Thibodeau Friday afternoon and by Saturday morning they got the other guy they wanted — Monty Williams.
Meanwhile, Thibodeau has gotten an offer from the Chicago Bulls, according to the Chicago Tribune, and he is about to accept it.
While a few details need to be hammered out by the lawyers and agents, the Hornets and Williams have reached the framework of an agreement, according to Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski. Williams had long been considered 1a in the Hornets coaching search.
Here’s the key thing in William’s favor — Chris Paul wanted him. The Hornets have arguably the best point guard in the game, a guy you can build around, and those are the guys you keep happy.
The Hornets are a good job — they have some quality pieces and could be a playoff team again soon.
The Bulls may be a better job — they have some quality pieces and are in the running for some much getter ones. This team could be a contender soon. With the right coach.
The Bulls think Thibodeau is that guy. The Boston assistant as received an offer for a three-year deal from the Bulls and is expected to accept it. The Bulls hope to have this wrapped up by the weekend.
When the Bulls fired Vinny Del Negro it was all about getting a coach with NBA playoff experience. Thibodeau has experience — he’s in the Finals right now — but as the number two man. The Bulls abandoned what they said they were going after to go after Thibodeau, they liked him that much. They went and got another first time head coach.
We’ll see if that’s enough to get what they want.
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 0
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 3
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 21
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)