Jun 5, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets looked well on their way to hiring Tom Thibodeau to be their next head coach, but with Thibodeau taking his sweet time (with good reason, in case you haven’t heard, he’s got some stuff going on), the Hornets are not willing to wait.
So much like a romantic comedy, after a series of hilarious hijinx, the Hornets are moving on to Blazers assistant Monty Williams, and have offered him a contract.
What’s odd is that they haven’t shut down talks with Thibodeau, nor have they rescinded the offer they lodged towards him earlier this week. They’re just kind of acting like it didn’t happen, without addressing it.
Thibodeau has been on the tippy toe cusp of a gig for three seasons now, and has consistently managed to somehow not land a job, despite all signs pointing to him being a terrific candidate. With so many options available, it’s unlikely that he’ll run out of positions, though. He can afford to wait, especially with a championship ring on the line.
Besides, it’s really muggy down there and there are giant bugs. Great coffee, though.
Williams himself has been on the same close-call call list for the past few years, but it’s hard to argue he’s got Thibodeau’s recent resume. Then again, Williams didn’t have Kevin Garnett, you know, the one with knees, either.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37