Jun 5, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets looked well on their way to hiring Tom Thibodeau to be their next head coach, but with Thibodeau taking his sweet time (with good reason, in case you haven’t heard, he’s got some stuff going on), the Hornets are not willing to wait.
So much like a romantic comedy, after a series of hilarious hijinx, the Hornets are moving on to Blazers assistant Monty Williams, and have offered him a contract.
What’s odd is that they haven’t shut down talks with Thibodeau, nor have they rescinded the offer they lodged towards him earlier this week. They’re just kind of acting like it didn’t happen, without addressing it.
Thibodeau has been on the tippy toe cusp of a gig for three seasons now, and has consistently managed to somehow not land a job, despite all signs pointing to him being a terrific candidate. With so many options available, it’s unlikely that he’ll run out of positions, though. He can afford to wait, especially with a championship ring on the line.
Besides, it’s really muggy down there and there are giant bugs. Great coffee, though.
Williams himself has been on the same close-call call list for the past few years, but it’s hard to argue he’s got Thibodeau’s recent resume. Then again, Williams didn’t have Kevin Garnett, you know, the one with knees, either.
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10
- Grizzlies overpower Blazers for commanding series-opening win 7