Jun 5, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets looked well on their way to hiring Tom Thibodeau to be their next head coach, but with Thibodeau taking his sweet time (with good reason, in case you haven’t heard, he’s got some stuff going on), the Hornets are not willing to wait.
So much like a romantic comedy, after a series of hilarious hijinx, the Hornets are moving on to Blazers assistant Monty Williams, and have offered him a contract.
What’s odd is that they haven’t shut down talks with Thibodeau, nor have they rescinded the offer they lodged towards him earlier this week. They’re just kind of acting like it didn’t happen, without addressing it.
Thibodeau has been on the tippy toe cusp of a gig for three seasons now, and has consistently managed to somehow not land a job, despite all signs pointing to him being a terrific candidate. With so many options available, it’s unlikely that he’ll run out of positions, though. He can afford to wait, especially with a championship ring on the line.
Besides, it’s really muggy down there and there are giant bugs. Great coffee, though.
Williams himself has been on the same close-call call list for the past few years, but it’s hard to argue he’s got Thibodeau’s recent resume. Then again, Williams didn’t have Kevin Garnett, you know, the one with knees, either.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 10
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35