Jun 5, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Danny Ferry wound up going down with the ship, as it were. But the Navy still needs an admiral, and now the question has to become if this was part of an effort to nab a bigger fish.
Assistant GM Chris Grant is taking over for the time being, but with the biggest summer in the history of the franchise rattling towards them at light speed, the Cavs may be orchestrating to allow a bigger name, one that will be attractive to King James himself, an opportunity to take the reins.
One such name that will likely appear on lists is Larry Brown. Brown has been on the fence, for pretty much the last ten years, on what he’s going to do with his future, but it’s been made clear he’s not 100% dead solid sold on staying in Charlotte. Brown was heavily rumored for the Philadelphia job, but there were rumors that ownership didn’t want to surrender as much control as Brown wanted.
But with Ferry gone, an opportunity exists for Brown to fill that gap. A ready made championship roster with James back on board, a fat paycheck, and roster control. These are a few of Larry Brown’s favorite things.
Brown’s been rumored to be leaning towards coming back to team up with new majority owner Michael Jordan, but again,any outcome is as likely as any other until the season starts. Brown has been around long enough to afford himself a sense of flexibility. We’ll just have to see if the Cavs are indeed committed to Chris Grant long term, or if they’re looking to nab a big, shiny fish to help lure back the native son.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 5
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 4
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 16
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games