Jun 5, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Danny Ferry wound up going down with the ship, as it were. But the Navy still needs an admiral, and now the question has to become if this was part of an effort to nab a bigger fish.
Assistant GM Chris Grant is taking over for the time being, but with the biggest summer in the history of the franchise rattling towards them at light speed, the Cavs may be orchestrating to allow a bigger name, one that will be attractive to King James himself, an opportunity to take the reins.
One such name that will likely appear on lists is Larry Brown. Brown has been on the fence, for pretty much the last ten years, on what he’s going to do with his future, but it’s been made clear he’s not 100% dead solid sold on staying in Charlotte. Brown was heavily rumored for the Philadelphia job, but there were rumors that ownership didn’t want to surrender as much control as Brown wanted.
But with Ferry gone, an opportunity exists for Brown to fill that gap. A ready made championship roster with James back on board, a fat paycheck, and roster control. These are a few of Larry Brown’s favorite things.
Brown’s been rumored to be leaning towards coming back to team up with new majority owner Michael Jordan, but again,any outcome is as likely as any other until the season starts. Brown has been around long enough to afford himself a sense of flexibility. We’ll just have to see if the Cavs are indeed committed to Chris Grant long term, or if they’re looking to nab a big, shiny fish to help lure back the native son.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 47
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 20
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6