Jun 5, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
Danny Ferry wound up going down with the ship, as it were. But the Navy still needs an admiral, and now the question has to become if this was part of an effort to nab a bigger fish.
Assistant GM Chris Grant is taking over for the time being, but with the biggest summer in the history of the franchise rattling towards them at light speed, the Cavs may be orchestrating to allow a bigger name, one that will be attractive to King James himself, an opportunity to take the reins.
One such name that will likely appear on lists is Larry Brown. Brown has been on the fence, for pretty much the last ten years, on what he’s going to do with his future, but it’s been made clear he’s not 100% dead solid sold on staying in Charlotte. Brown was heavily rumored for the Philadelphia job, but there were rumors that ownership didn’t want to surrender as much control as Brown wanted.
But with Ferry gone, an opportunity exists for Brown to fill that gap. A ready made championship roster with James back on board, a fat paycheck, and roster control. These are a few of Larry Brown’s favorite things.
Brown’s been rumored to be leaning towards coming back to team up with new majority owner Michael Jordan, but again,any outcome is as likely as any other until the season starts. Brown has been around long enough to afford himself a sense of flexibility. We’ll just have to see if the Cavs are indeed committed to Chris Grant long term, or if they’re looking to nab a big, shiny fish to help lure back the native son.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14