Jun 4, 2010, 8:21 AM EDT
New Orleans has made their offer and wait. Chicago had an interview and now is deciding what to do. New Jersey and the Los Angeles Clippers are waiting in the wings.
Tom Thibodeau is a very popular man these days. It seems clear he will not be back on the Celtics bench next year, even Danny Ainge thinks that, according to the Boston Globe. That’s about all that seems clear.
New Orleans has made and offer and reportedly had given Thibodeau a Thursday afternoon deadline to accept the offer or they were moving on. But the deadline came and went, and New Orleans was still waiting come Friday morning and were still hoping to get their man, according to an ESPN report.
But Wednesday night Thibodeau met with Chicago Bulls front office people and now they may be close to making an offer, according to the Chicago Tribune. Or not, they may take their time ESPNChicago.com reports. So where does that leave us? Multiple sources report that the Wednesday night meeting went well, but nobody is sure what the Bulls next move will be. Or when.
And so we wait. Thibodeau has a hard decision to make. He also has to hit the film room and figure out how to stop the Lakers dribble penetration that destroyed his current employer — the Boston Celtics — in Game 1 of the NBA finals.
How much longer New Orleans waits around remains to be seen. They reportedly also like Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams, but they have yet to pull the Thibodeau offer or make one to Williams. Williams had a second interview, via phone, with the Hornets on Thursday. Both the New Jersey Nets and Los Angeles Clippers also have reportedly been given permission to interview Thibodeau, but have not yet done so, according to ESPN.
Thibodeau has options. But pretty soon it is going to be decision time.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29