Jun 4, 2010, 8:21 AM EST
New Orleans has made their offer and wait. Chicago had an interview and now is deciding what to do. New Jersey and the Los Angeles Clippers are waiting in the wings.
Tom Thibodeau is a very popular man these days. It seems clear he will not be back on the Celtics bench next year, even Danny Ainge thinks that, according to the Boston Globe. That’s about all that seems clear.
New Orleans has made and offer and reportedly had given Thibodeau a Thursday afternoon deadline to accept the offer or they were moving on. But the deadline came and went, and New Orleans was still waiting come Friday morning and were still hoping to get their man, according to an ESPN report.
But Wednesday night Thibodeau met with Chicago Bulls front office people and now they may be close to making an offer, according to the Chicago Tribune. Or not, they may take their time ESPNChicago.com reports. So where does that leave us? Multiple sources report that the Wednesday night meeting went well, but nobody is sure what the Bulls next move will be. Or when.
And so we wait. Thibodeau has a hard decision to make. He also has to hit the film room and figure out how to stop the Lakers dribble penetration that destroyed his current employer — the Boston Celtics — in Game 1 of the NBA finals.
How much longer New Orleans waits around remains to be seen. They reportedly also like Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams, but they have yet to pull the Thibodeau offer or make one to Williams. Williams had a second interview, via phone, with the Hornets on Thursday. Both the New Jersey Nets and Los Angeles Clippers also have reportedly been given permission to interview Thibodeau, but have not yet done so, according to ESPN.
Thibodeau has options. But pretty soon it is going to be decision time.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14