Jun 4, 2010, 2:31 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant isn’t going to talk about it. He gets a bit surly during the playoffs, the media questions are just another distraction in his way. And he doesn’t talk about chinks in the armor on the best of days.
But USA Basketball’s Jerry Colangelo told the New York Post that he doesn’t expect Kobe to play this summer at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey.
“He could very well have surgery after the playoffs,” Colangelo said.
Kobe has had what was described as tendonitis but clearly was a little more than that for a while with his knee. It was bothering him in the early rounds of the playoffs, but after having fluid drained out of it he went on a tear. That included dropping 30 on the Celtics in Game 1 of the NBA finals Thursday.
A lot of people around the Lakers did not expect Kobe to play the World Championships this summer. After three straight long seasons that have ended in the NBA finals, his body could use the rest.
Now it’s apparent he may need more than just rest.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 37
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18