Jun 4, 2010, 12:52 PM EDT
If Kendrick Perkins so much as utters the phrase, “How dare you! My last screen was not moving, it was positively refulgent!” or “You insufferable dandiprat, rescind that call, forthwith!” he could find himself suspended for a game in the NBA finals. That’s a pretty harsh punishment for a few crude words and some minor fisticuffs, a point which Doc Rivers has articulated repeatedly since Perk picked up his sixth technical foul in the conference finals.
Well, the lobbying appears to have worked, as the topic seems to be on David Stern’s docket. From Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston:
“I think [Rivers] has a worthy point that’s worthy of
consideration,” said Stern. “We are where we are now, but I’d like to
take a look at it between seasons. As much as I hate to agree with Doc,
I think he actually has a point.
“But we are where we are, and
thus far we haven’t had anyone miss a playoff game by reaching the
technical limit and hopefully our players will exercise the control
that this rule is in there to cause them to exercise.”
There are a variety of remedies to the problem, and its up to the league to decide which is the most palatable. They could choose not to count double-technicals towards the total, or change double-technicals into an entirely separate penalty. They could reset the technical allowance for each playoff series, giving each player a bit of wiggle room. Or they could pump locker rooms filled with pacifying gases and inject the player buffets with happy, happy chemicals. All kinds of options, but one problem that definitely needs to be solved.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20