Jun 4, 2010, 10:53 AM EDT
Reebok has never quite been on par with Nike in terms of sneaker appeal, but they once presented an adversary and a worthy second behind the Swoosh. That status eventually gave way to Adidas, who went absolutely bonkers in signing an incredible amount of NBA talent, including Dwight Howard, Derrick Rose, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Josh Smith, Brook Lopez, Devin Harris and more. Reebok’s biggest names were Shaquille O’Neal and Allen Iverson, but with both of those players going the way of the dinosaur, Reebok has needed a new face of the franchise, and struggled to find it.
As a result, Reebok has completely fallen off of the NBA map, though they could be making a comeback in a big way. According to Michael Lee of the Washington Post (via Bullets Forever), Reebok will meet with sure-thing No. 1 pick John Wall to discuss a potential shoe deal, one that would likely mean big bucks for Wall and big ups for Reebok.
I’m sure Wall will also be meeting with reps from Nike and Adidas, and the allure of those too companies could be too much. Still, the fact that Reebok is even in the race is something, and should they lock up Wall with a long-term deal, it could spark something of a Rbk Renaissance.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (68)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'