Jun 3, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:45 pm: Now it appears that there is no decision, but the deadline is looming for one this afternoon. At least that’s what Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski said on twitter.
Tom Thibodeau is
still in play for Hornets job and clock’s ticking toward an afternoon
deadline to accept or reject offer, sources tell Y!
We warned you to take the NY Post with a grain of salt.
9: 29 am: Apparently Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau wants to play the field.
Thibodeau turned down the Hornets offer to him to become their next head coach, according to the New York Post. One should take that with a grain of salt because it is the New York Post, but the pattern does fit with other reports from people around Thibodeau that he was waffling on the offer and preferred the other options out there.
Those other options would be the Chicago Bulls and New Jersey Nets. Except nobody has offered Thibodeau a job yet. The Bulls front office staff — including John Paxson — are in Los Angeles right now to interview Thibodeau (who will be on the sidelines as an assistant coach for the Boston Celtic in Game 1 of the NBA finals). Well, that’s what the Chicago Tribune said, but the Celtics say they have not been contacted for permission to speak with him by the Bulls. So… welcome to limbo. Nets officials are not talking about where their search stands.
One long shot third option: Doc Rivers decides to walk away from the Celtics at the end of the playoffs, and Thibodeau moves down one seat to the head man’s job. Rivers walking away is not be that likely, although he has said he would reconsider his future and if he wants to keep coaching after the playoffs end.
With Thibodeau out, it appears Portland assistant Monty Williams will be the next Hornets coach. Rumors out of New Orleans said that the Hornets front office staff was split on preferring Thibodeau or Williams, so they have no problem going with the next choice.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record