Jun 3, 2010, 11:55 AM EDT
Peja Stojackovic is going to be overpaid $14 million next season by the New Orleans Hornets. He is going to shoot about 37 percent from three, shoot poorly inside the arc, barely ever get to the free throw line and play poor defense. He missed 20 games last season with back issues.
But a rumor started circulating that Peja was going to leave New Orleans to play in Greece next season. It started because Panathinaikos said they were going to go after an NBA player this summer. Peja played for Panathinaikos before coming to America. So…
You think he’s going to walk away from $14 million? Are you mad?
Marc Stein got it confirmed for ESPN.com, Peja will be a Hornet next season. Not a shock, he is not going to get paid like that anywhere else. The Hornets might be willing to buy him out at half the money or something, but why exactly would Peja agree this? Because he hates money?
Peja may go to Europe — maybe Panathinaikos — in the summer of 2011. He will be 33 and has ongoing injuries, they travel and play less in Europe. His game fits that style of play well. It’s a good fit.
But he’s not walking away from $14 million.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18