Jun 3, 2010, 10:32 PM EDT
The Lakers had said they were not going to back down, that they would go right at the Celtics. And they did.
The result is a 50-41 lead at the half, with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum combining for 18 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks. Lakers have 28 points in the paint, the Celtics 12.
But combine the Lakers aggressiveness, the Celtics physicality and the quick whistles of tonight’s officiating crew, and you had a foul-filled first half. Lamar Odom from L.A., plus both Ray Allen and Tony Allen from Boston all have three fouls. Six other players have two. Teams are slowly adjusting, but also not backing off the aggressiveness.
Rajon Rondo’s 10 points — including a late fade-away two at the buzzer for the half — plus four assists have kept the Celtics in this. It was close until about the four minute mark of the second half when the Lakers went on a run to stretch the lead into double digits
Much of the first half felt like a boxing match where the two fighters were feeling each other out. Expect a few more punches this half. And a lot more fouls.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record