Jun 2, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT
Kendrick Perkins got a stay of suspension last round — the league rescinded one of the two rather ridiculous technicals on him in Game 5 against Orlando.
But he lives on suspension row. He has six technicals in the playoffs. Seven and you are suspended for a game. What are the odds that he can go through what promises to be an intense, physical series with the Lakers and not pick up another technical?
Not very good, if you ask Doc Rivers. And Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com asked.
“It’s going to happen. I hope it doesn’t, but you know it’s going to happen,” Rivers said before the Celtics practiced on Tuesday at UCLA. “Perk is physical; the Lakers are saying they want to be physical now. So the refs are going to react to that.”
This whole thing is silly. NBA referees have gone to using the double technical as a way to settle down situations all to often. It may have the short-term effect that is desired, but for a physical player going deep into the playoffs, it ads up.
Both coaches in this series think the whole thing is ridiculous.
“I don’t think you should be suspended for double technicals,” Rivers said. “Obviously flagrants should absolutely. If you get seven flagrants, if you cuss the refs out seven times, then maybe. But double technicals, no. Because when two guys get tangled up, they never know who started it so they just call it on both.”
“Those things I think should be wiped out — flagrant fouls, technical fouls,” [Lakers coach Phil] Jackson said. “It just means the longer you’ve been in the playoffs, the more penalized you are. It seems like that’s not a really good code right now.”
They are right. Not that the NBA is going to do anything about it.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7