Jun 2, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT
Kendrick Perkins got a stay of suspension last round — the league rescinded one of the two rather ridiculous technicals on him in Game 5 against Orlando.
But he lives on suspension row. He has six technicals in the playoffs. Seven and you are suspended for a game. What are the odds that he can go through what promises to be an intense, physical series with the Lakers and not pick up another technical?
Not very good, if you ask Doc Rivers. And Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com asked.
“It’s going to happen. I hope it doesn’t, but you know it’s going to happen,” Rivers said before the Celtics practiced on Tuesday at UCLA. “Perk is physical; the Lakers are saying they want to be physical now. So the refs are going to react to that.”
This whole thing is silly. NBA referees have gone to using the double technical as a way to settle down situations all to often. It may have the short-term effect that is desired, but for a physical player going deep into the playoffs, it ads up.
Both coaches in this series think the whole thing is ridiculous.
“I don’t think you should be suspended for double technicals,” Rivers said. “Obviously flagrants should absolutely. If you get seven flagrants, if you cuss the refs out seven times, then maybe. But double technicals, no. Because when two guys get tangled up, they never know who started it so they just call it on both.”
“Those things I think should be wiped out — flagrant fouls, technical fouls,” [Lakers coach Phil] Jackson said. “It just means the longer you’ve been in the playoffs, the more penalized you are. It seems like that’s not a really good code right now.”
They are right. Not that the NBA is going to do anything about it.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40