Jun 2, 2010, 11:04 AM EST
Kendrick Perkins got a stay of suspension last round — the league rescinded one of the two rather ridiculous technicals on him in Game 5 against Orlando.
But he lives on suspension row. He has six technicals in the playoffs. Seven and you are suspended for a game. What are the odds that he can go through what promises to be an intense, physical series with the Lakers and not pick up another technical?
Not very good, if you ask Doc Rivers. And Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com asked.
“It’s going to happen. I hope it doesn’t, but you know it’s going to happen,” Rivers said before the Celtics practiced on Tuesday at UCLA. “Perk is physical; the Lakers are saying they want to be physical now. So the refs are going to react to that.”
This whole thing is silly. NBA referees have gone to using the double technical as a way to settle down situations all to often. It may have the short-term effect that is desired, but for a physical player going deep into the playoffs, it ads up.
Both coaches in this series think the whole thing is ridiculous.
“I don’t think you should be suspended for double technicals,” Rivers said. “Obviously flagrants should absolutely. If you get seven flagrants, if you cuss the refs out seven times, then maybe. But double technicals, no. Because when two guys get tangled up, they never know who started it so they just call it on both.”
“Those things I think should be wiped out — flagrant fouls, technical fouls,” [Lakers coach Phil] Jackson said. “It just means the longer you’ve been in the playoffs, the more penalized you are. It seems like that’s not a really good code right now.”
They are right. Not that the NBA is going to do anything about it.
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 10
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 14
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5