Jun 2, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
Of all the crazy, ridiculous offers to lure LeBron James somewhere, or keep him in Cleveland, this is the first one where if I were him I’d take the person up on it. Because I love good food.
Cleveland restaurateur and Food Network Iron Chef — American, not the cooler original Japanese version — Michael Symon has said he will come over to LeBron James house and cook for him and his friends once a month for free if he stays in Cleveland. For the first time ever, I really want to be LeBron’s friend. At least for one day a month.
Symon came to fame for his restaurants Lola and Lolita in Cleveland (Lola is in downtown and has benefited from the energy and people LeBron and the Cavaliers bring to the city). And if he is willing to cook for you — do it. He does American food — steaks, seafood — but with a modern flair and does it in a sustainable way. He’s got all the top awards a chef could want — 2009 “Best Chef Great Lakes” by the James Beard Foundation, and Food & Wine Magazine’s “Ten Best Chefs in America.” They don’t give those things away.
Symon should not be an Iron Chef, though. He beat out New Orleans’ John Besh in the finale of “The Next Iron Chef” competition. And he shouldn’t have. With all do respect to Symon, Besh killed it all competition. He does something different and uniquely regional with American cuisine. He was the best candidate. Then Symon went Villanova on Besh’s Georgetown in the finals. Not fair. In a best of seven, Besh wins.
Glad I got that off my chest. I’m hungry and need to go get some lunch. And a bologna sandwich will not cut it now…
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15