Jun 2, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
You know how life works — you’re biggest, toughest decisions come when you have no time to think about it because the rest of your world is crashing down on you. It’s always everything at once.
Welcome to Tom Thibodeau’s world.
On one hand, the Celtics assistant coach and defensive guru has the simple little task of stopping Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. Which ranks right up there with “create a lasting peace in the Middle East” on the list of tasks you don’t want. He has about 24 more hours to figure it out and then get his Celtics to execute said plan.
Oh, and by the way, the New Orleans Hornets want a decision on that job offer they sent you. Now. ESPN’s Marc Stein has the details.
The Hornets don’t want to let their coaching search drag beyond this week and plan to offer the job instead to Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams if Thibodeau, Boston’s defensive specialist, doesn’t accept by Thursday, according to sources.
Not an accident that leaked — that is how you add pressure to the situation.
Thibodeau has had nibbles on the line from New Jersey and Chicago. Both potentially bigger fish with rosters built for the future. But he would have to reel them in, which is no guarantee. Meanwhile he has New Orleans hooked. For now.
Welcome to Thibodeau’s world. No pressure big guy.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11