Jun 2, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
You know how life works — you’re biggest, toughest decisions come when you have no time to think about it because the rest of your world is crashing down on you. It’s always everything at once.
Welcome to Tom Thibodeau’s world.
On one hand, the Celtics assistant coach and defensive guru has the simple little task of stopping Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. Which ranks right up there with “create a lasting peace in the Middle East” on the list of tasks you don’t want. He has about 24 more hours to figure it out and then get his Celtics to execute said plan.
Oh, and by the way, the New Orleans Hornets want a decision on that job offer they sent you. Now. ESPN’s Marc Stein has the details.
The Hornets don’t want to let their coaching search drag beyond this week and plan to offer the job instead to Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams if Thibodeau, Boston’s defensive specialist, doesn’t accept by Thursday, according to sources.
Not an accident that leaked — that is how you add pressure to the situation.
Thibodeau has had nibbles on the line from New Jersey and Chicago. Both potentially bigger fish with rosters built for the future. But he would have to reel them in, which is no guarantee. Meanwhile he has New Orleans hooked. For now.
Welcome to Thibodeau’s world. No pressure big guy.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 27
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22