Jun 2, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
You know how life works — you’re biggest, toughest decisions come when you have no time to think about it because the rest of your world is crashing down on you. It’s always everything at once.
Welcome to Tom Thibodeau’s world.
On one hand, the Celtics assistant coach and defensive guru has the simple little task of stopping Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. Which ranks right up there with “create a lasting peace in the Middle East” on the list of tasks you don’t want. He has about 24 more hours to figure it out and then get his Celtics to execute said plan.
Oh, and by the way, the New Orleans Hornets want a decision on that job offer they sent you. Now. ESPN’s Marc Stein has the details.
The Hornets don’t want to let their coaching search drag beyond this week and plan to offer the job instead to Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams if Thibodeau, Boston’s defensive specialist, doesn’t accept by Thursday, according to sources.
Not an accident that leaked — that is how you add pressure to the situation.
Thibodeau has had nibbles on the line from New Jersey and Chicago. Both potentially bigger fish with rosters built for the future. But he would have to reel them in, which is no guarantee. Meanwhile he has New Orleans hooked. For now.
Welcome to Thibodeau’s world. No pressure big guy.
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 0
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20