Jun 2, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Kevin Pritchard has made a draft-related trade every season he’s been with the Blazers. He’s out there like picks are pogs, and he’s got his eye on that nice slammer your team has.
So it should come as no surprise that once again, Pritchard is on the hunt. From the Oregonian.
“We’re having discussions,” Pritchard said. “I would never get into the details of where and who — we don’t comment on that kind of speculation. But it’s our job to look at every opportunity. … You’re always assessing the landscape, whether you’re looking to move up, down or stay where you are. You’re always assessing your options.”
So the Blazers are looking to improve, just like every team, but have been more successful than others in the past. The question, then, is what do they need?
At guard they actually seem like they still have a logjam. Inconsistent youngster Jerryd Bayless made significant strides last season, but would still seem like the kind of player the Blazers wouldn’t mind pushing in a deal. Andre Miller fit in tremendously well as the season wore on, and of course, there’s Brandon Roy.
Martell Webster and Nicolas Batum provide a solid 1-2 punch for them on the wing, LaMarcus Aldridge is a lock at power forward, and at center they’re overloaded with options, even if Joel Przybilla doesn’t return.
The optimum target for the Blazers would be a combo forward 3/4 to help with rebounding while being able to stretch the floor. Both Batum and Webster are better on the perimeter and a backup to Aldridge would be a nice addition. The other alternative is a more traditional power forward, something of a Brandon Bass type.
Then again, with the pattern the Blazers have started the last few seasons, it’s possible they could look to package their 22nd overall pick with a player currently on roster to look for an upgrade. That possibility becomes even greater if Greg Oden somehow winds up on the block if the Blazers decide he’ll never be the savior at center he was drafted to be.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7