Jun 2, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Kevin Pritchard has made a draft-related trade every season he’s been with the Blazers. He’s out there like picks are pogs, and he’s got his eye on that nice slammer your team has.
So it should come as no surprise that once again, Pritchard is on the hunt. From the Oregonian.
“We’re having discussions,” Pritchard said. “I would never get into the details of where and who — we don’t comment on that kind of speculation. But it’s our job to look at every opportunity. … You’re always assessing the landscape, whether you’re looking to move up, down or stay where you are. You’re always assessing your options.”
So the Blazers are looking to improve, just like every team, but have been more successful than others in the past. The question, then, is what do they need?
At guard they actually seem like they still have a logjam. Inconsistent youngster Jerryd Bayless made significant strides last season, but would still seem like the kind of player the Blazers wouldn’t mind pushing in a deal. Andre Miller fit in tremendously well as the season wore on, and of course, there’s Brandon Roy.
Martell Webster and Nicolas Batum provide a solid 1-2 punch for them on the wing, LaMarcus Aldridge is a lock at power forward, and at center they’re overloaded with options, even if Joel Przybilla doesn’t return.
The optimum target for the Blazers would be a combo forward 3/4 to help with rebounding while being able to stretch the floor. Both Batum and Webster are better on the perimeter and a backup to Aldridge would be a nice addition. The other alternative is a more traditional power forward, something of a Brandon Bass type.
Then again, with the pattern the Blazers have started the last few seasons, it’s possible they could look to package their 22nd overall pick with a player currently on roster to look for an upgrade. That possibility becomes even greater if Greg Oden somehow winds up on the block if the Blazers decide he’ll never be the savior at center he was drafted to be.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 31
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4