Tyreke Evans gets one whopper of a speeding ticket

Jun 1, 2010, 8:37 AM EST

Thumbnail image for evans_game.jpgTyreke Evans drives hard.

And we don’t just mean into the lane off the high pick-and-roll. We mean his Mercedes-Benz S550.

Evans was pulled over by the California Highway Patrol — think CHiPs — for doing more than 100 mph on a freeway near Sacramento, according to the Sacramento Bee. This wasn’t some polite Eric Estrada stop either: because Evans had the drivers and passengers side windows tinted (illegal in California) and officers could not see in, they did a full guns-drawn felony stop.

The CHP described Evans as cooperative and he was simply cited when it was all over. And so he is off to traffic school. Is there a special traffic school for people driving over 100? Something that discusses the Autobahn?

However, at that speed Evans should make good time from Sacramento to Las Vegas this summer, when he goes to the camp for Team USA in July.

1. MdT - Jun 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Whats wrong with 100 mph? On the german Autobahn 120 mph is not uncommon. I don´t think this is too fast at all, really.

2. Brian - Jun 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM

The last time I checked Sacramento was not in Germany. So if you’re going to drive in the USA, follow our speed limits. Either that, or get out!

3. Really - Jun 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Come on, we can debate all day whether or not 100mph is safe or not. However, the real problem isn’t absolute speed, but speed differential between vehicles. 100mph where other cars are “poking along” at 60mph is a huge differential and IS dangerous. The other factor is that on the autobahn, drivers know that even if they are not going 120mph, other drivers are legally permitted to do so. So, they act accordingly.
    On highways in the States, the most one could say is that drivers might reasonably expect another driver to be going about 80 in a 65 zone, ILLEGALLY. I generally drive about 73 in a 65 zone. When I check my rear mirrors before I change lanes to pass, if I see that it is 50 yards to the next car behind me in the lane I am changing into, I can rightly judge that I have ample room to a) change lanes; b) pass the car I intend to pass and; c) change back into the lane I was in originally after the pass—without risk of getting rear-ended by the car 100 yards back. If the car behind me is going 80 to my 73, then it is gaining on me at 10.26 feet per second, giving me 14.6 seconds before they overtake me. However, if they are going 100mph yo my 73, then it is gaining on me at 39.6 feet per second, giving me a mere 3.8 seconds before they overtake me. If they are the slightest bit distracted, they may well rear-end me.
    Basic physics of relative speed.

4. zaglossus - Jun 1, 2010 at 10:50 AM

The maximum speed limit in Calif. is 65. A lot of people scofflaw with impunity and drive about 75. But c’mon – when you’re going a lot a faster (100 MPH) than everybody around you, you must know you’re speeding.
    These athletes, like many famous people, are full of themselves and think (like Lindsay Lohan) their celebrity raises them above the law.

5. JMD - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM

100mph is 100mph. If you have the reflexes to drive that fast – good for you! However, remember that little old lady probably does not – and she may do exactly the wrong thing as you come up to her. Also have you seen the shape the roads are in this time of year – also not exactly in the shape I would want to drive that fast on.

6. BC - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Feh. Amateur.

7. donjay - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:22 AM

100 miles an hour is not really that fast if you are driving a good car. The first time I drove on the freeway with my new BMW, I was in the carpool lane and looked down at my speedometer and I was doing 92 and didn’t even feel it was going that fast. On the I-5 at Mt Shasta, I was going 110 and it was so smooth I felt I could get out and walk. It really depends on if you have enough room, I mean no impeding traffic around you.

8. 845 - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM

What are you stupid or what. the roads in Germany are made to go that fast, they are not in the US. How would you like to get in an accident with some dope doing 100mph. Oh I guess you are DEAD as a door nail.

9. August - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Maximum speed in California is 70 mph.

10. MdT - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Do I have to understand the comments that Brian and 845 made? What do you think, that I know the speed limit of california? I couldn´t care less. If I would be driving on californian freeways, I would follow the rules. But I take the autobahn because I am german.
    The only purpose of my original comment was to express my amazement over a speeding ticket for driving 100 mph. All I know is that cars on american streets have the same power as those on european streets, maybe even more. Wondering why this amazes me? Compare pictures of your freeways and our autobahn, you´ll see why.
    Maybe I should have pointed out that I am german and not aware of any speed limits what-so-ever.

11. Honest Dean - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:38 AM

You know, it isn’t whether 100 is too fast or not. The plain truth is, 65mph or 75mph is the legal posted speed limit. Now it comes to choices, do you choose to knowing break the law and go faster? If you make that choice, what other laws have you chosen to break? Not stopping completely at stop signs, not signaling to make lane changes or turns, how about armed robbery, or murder? Which laws are for only other people to obey?

12. Mike Paget - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM

He should move to Dallas and he wouldn’t have to worry about it..everyone drives 100…and theres no chips!

13. Rico - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

The fact of the matter is, way to many people chose to break the law and then their children are witness to it. Its no wonder we are bringing up generations that have no respect for the law, whether they like it or not.”
    EXACTLY!

14. Anonymous - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Do I have to understand the comments that Brian and 845 made? Maybe I should have pointed out that I am german. I didn´t know californian speed limits. The purpose of my original comment was just to express my amazement over a 100 mph speeding ticket on the freeway. Wondering why I am amazed? Compare pictures of your freeway and our autobahn, you´ll see why.
    All I know is that the cars on american streets have the same or even more power than the cars on european streets. So it caught me by surprise, no offense intended.
    It´s not that i am against strict speeding limits, I am just not used to them.

15. MdT - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM

sorry for the double post.

16. Anonymous - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

SO I checked out photos of the Autobahn and I’m not seeing much of a difference between it and the US Interstate highways. What makes it so special?

17. ICantDrive55 - Jun 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM

our speed limits are ridiculously slow for our modern technology, and were written by crusty old men. i’ve done 140 in my Cobra on an empty freeway, endangering NOONE but myself.

18. Nick - Jun 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I have driven on the Autobahn before. There are 2 differences there:
    1)everyone knows that there are other drivers going at 120 mph+. Slower drivers stay in the right lane always. And when you see a speck in your rearview mirror, you know that the car could be directly behind you in a matter of seconds.
    2)The Autobahn (outside of the cities) is almost entirely, perfectly straight. Noone can make a turn on a highway at 100 mph, so the Autbahn is built straight. American roads are not designed like that. If you were going 120 mph, and then you saw a curve in the road ahead, you better slow down. If you dont have time to, youre screwed, unless youre an F1 driver.
    While accident rates are in fact less in Germany than in the states (for the aforementioned reasons), the one thing that is certain is that when an accident does happen at 100mph+, the chances of anyone coming out alive is not too great.
    Which makes it extremely dangerous to drive like that on roads that are not built for 100mph drivers

19. Craig W. - Jun 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Mike Paget,
    It is hard to move to Dallas when the team in Sacramento is paying you multiple millions of dollars.
    Yeah, you might want to move there in the off season, but I have lived in both Sacramento and Dallas. I prefer Sacramento, by a long shot — mountains, access to San Francisco and the ocean, general vegetation.

20. RIFFRAFF - Jun 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I call BS that you don’t know of speed limits. I for one have been all over your country and have seen plenty of speed limits even on your precious Auto Bahn, so don’t think your pulling the wool over these stupid Americans eyes.
    I do however agree with you as to the German drivers superiority in driving ability, and determination to be the better driver. American drivers all think it’s their right to drive and the training they recieve is worthless. Just spend 5 minutes on a US interstate highway and watch howmany people hang out in the left (passing) lane. even in the “middle of no where” Nebraska.
    Just sayin’

21. hahahaha - Jun 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM

If you hit something you would know how fast you are going. Just because it doesn’t feel fast, it doesn’t mean that it isn’t.

22. Anonymous - Jun 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM

2 words – Bobby Phils

23. somedog - Jun 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

i think he was racing some1. hope he learns how to drive! i bet u it doesn’t feel fast in that car he was driving cuz my dad goes like 80mph and it feels like 50mph in his bmw

24. somedog - Jun 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM

25. Peter Starwood - Jun 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Yeah going 25-30 miles over the posted speed limit in California is considered reckless driving!
    According to this post you can’t even attend traffic school if you are cited for:

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches