Jun 1, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
Let’s play a game.
Imaginea team with a late first round pick that can afford to take a gamble. It’s either blessed with a playoff ready roster with the luxury of long-term development, or a bottom feeder with multiple picks, having already scored its marquee prize. As the selection moves closer, the team starts to examine players outside the safe picks, examining the two extremes of any draft: high upside, athletic players who need considerable development, and athletically limited players with considerable skill bases.
It is the latter group that Jamaican small forward posing as a power forward posing as a center Samardo Samuels fits into.
Jamaican newspaper the Jamaican Gleaner reports that attention is rising on Samuels, a 21 year old sophomore out of Louisville. Draft Express notes on Twitter that conversations are ongoing regarding Samuels with league personnel.
Samuels is a danger pick, there’s no doubt. A 6-9/6-10 on his tippy toes forward that played center in college. He lacks elite explosiveness and isn’t gifted with tremendous frame to make up for height or athleticism. Quite simply, he’s just a considerable basketball talent. He has great handle and good scoring ability. His rebounding improved his sophomore season, and he has tremendous natural on-floor knowledge. The spirit is willing to compensate for the limits of the body, so to speak.
DX has Samuels still languishing at the 24th pick in the second round, but essentially everything 25th overall and later is interchangeable. Samuels is high gamble, but you have to wonder if the payoff is worth it for the right price.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay