Jun 1, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
Let’s play a game.
Imaginea team with a late first round pick that can afford to take a gamble. It’s either blessed with a playoff ready roster with the luxury of long-term development, or a bottom feeder with multiple picks, having already scored its marquee prize. As the selection moves closer, the team starts to examine players outside the safe picks, examining the two extremes of any draft: high upside, athletic players who need considerable development, and athletically limited players with considerable skill bases.
It is the latter group that Jamaican small forward posing as a power forward posing as a center Samardo Samuels fits into.
Jamaican newspaper the Jamaican Gleaner reports that attention is rising on Samuels, a 21 year old sophomore out of Louisville. Draft Express notes on Twitter that conversations are ongoing regarding Samuels with league personnel.
Samuels is a danger pick, there’s no doubt. A 6-9/6-10 on his tippy toes forward that played center in college. He lacks elite explosiveness and isn’t gifted with tremendous frame to make up for height or athleticism. Quite simply, he’s just a considerable basketball talent. He has great handle and good scoring ability. His rebounding improved his sophomore season, and he has tremendous natural on-floor knowledge. The spirit is willing to compensate for the limits of the body, so to speak.
DX has Samuels still languishing at the 24th pick in the second round, but essentially everything 25th overall and later is interchangeable. Samuels is high gamble, but you have to wonder if the payoff is worth it for the right price.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59