May 31, 2010, 6:44 PM EDT
According to Ric Bucher of ESPN the Magazine, the Toronto Raptors are close to signing P.J. Carlesimo to serve as an assistant coach under head coach Jay Triano. This would be Carlesimo’s first NBA coaching job since Scott Brooks replaced him as the head coach of the Thunder on November 22nd, 2008.
Before coaching the Thunder, Carlesimo had served as the head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers and the Golden State Warriors and an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs.
Before coaching in the NBA, Carlesimo served as a head coach for Seton Hall, New Hampshire College, and Wagner College of Staten Island; he was also an assistant coach with both the 1990 FIBA U.S. National team and the 1992 Olympic “Dream Team.”
Carlesimo is perhaps best-known by NBA for being brutally choked and elbowed by Latrell Sprewell during a 1997 Warriors practice, which led to Sprewell being suspended for the rest of the year. In Toronto, Carlesimo’s main job will almost certainly be to shore up Toronto’s porous defense; the Raptors were a potent offensive team during the 2009-10, but missed the playoffs because they ranked dead-last in the NBA in defensive efficiency.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 34
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 14
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay