May 31, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
The triangle offense can win — 10 of the last 19 titles have gone to teams running the offense, and another triangle team is in the NBA finals this season.
Of course, there’s a few other minor factors that go into that — Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaquille O’Neal, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Phil Jackson. Okay, not so minor factors. But as Ron Artest has described it, the triangle offense is an equal opportunity offense that can make anyone dangerous on a given possession or night.
That’s the appeal, the fascination, especially with players that want to win. Say… LeBron James. It’s pretty easy to picture LeBron in the attacking wing role that Kobe and MJ have made their own.
Which brings us to our latest rumor, via the Daily Herald — Lakers assistant Brian Shaw in the running to coach the Bulls. He could bring the triangle back to Chicago and lure LeBron with it.
What we know is the Bulls are interested in another assistant coach in the Finals, Boston defensive guru Tom Thibodeau, but he may not be around as the Hornets have already started negotiating with CAA (his agent). Maurice Cheeks is considered the other guy in the running. But they are taking their time with the search so they can talk to Shaw after the finals, he could get in the mix.
Shaw is considered the heir-apparent to Phil Jackson in Los Angeles, especially after Kurt Rambis went to Minnesota last summer. If Jackson were to retire in the next three or four years Shaw makes a lot of sense in L.A. — he keeps the same system in place while the Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Bynum Lakers are in a championship window. You don’t change horses in the middle of the stream.
But what happens in a few years when it is time to start rebuilding the Lakers? Will Jerry Buss want to keep the triangle or return to his preferred up-tempo, Showtime style? How does Shaw fit in then?
The key thing to remember: There are a whole lot of “ifs” in this story. We are a long, long way from this reality.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14