May 31, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Matt Barnes had a rough conference finals, as he was asked to chase around Paul Pierce and Ray Allen with a sore back, but all in all he had a fairly successful season as a role player for the Magic. So much so that Barnes himself apparently thinks he’ll be able to make more than the $1.6 million he’s ready to leave n the table by opting out of his current contract to become a free agent.
“As for me and my contract situation, I’m going to opt out,” Barnes told reporters gathered at RDV Sportsplex this morning. …”I’ve expressed
throughout the season that I’ve loved my time here and would love to
return. But I think more than anybody that this is a business. The
organization has to do what’s best for the team. Hopefully, I impressed
them enough to bring me back and give me something decent, but we’ll
have to wait and see about that.”
Even if the six games against the Celtics didn’t make Barnes look
particularly good on either the offensive or defensive end, he’s still sure to draw interest from teams looking to add low-maintenance, complementary talent. The guy is more than just an “intangibles” guy even if his impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet. He’s a very solid perimeter defender that moves without the ball and can space the floor, three traits which make him an interesting role player.
Orlando will likely make an effort to keep him, but from the sound of things it seems like Barnes’ decision will come down to the money. Tough to blame him, as he’s hardly locked in for huge, mega-deals for the rest of his career and his biggest payday yet was a $3 million, one-year deal from the Warriors in ’07-’08. We’ll have to wait and see whether or not the Magic will give Barnes the most lucrative offer, but they could definitely use his services next season.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 2
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 30
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 13
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70