May 31, 2010, 7:38 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Dwight Howard has joined LeBron James and Dwyane Wade in being undecided about whether or not he will play in the world championship games this summer.
Unlike James and Wade, Howard will not have to make a free agency decision this summer, but he is thinking of skipping the games anyways. When asked about his participation in the games after the Magic’s end-of-the season meeting, Howard said “I haven’t decided what I want to do,” and went on to say that he was “just going to get some rest and think about [the games] later on.”
With the shorter three-point line and trapezoidal lane used in FIBA-rules play, Howard was rarely used in post-up situations. Even so, his defense and rebounding were a definite asset to the US team, and his ability to move without the ball and finish resoundingly made him deadly while playing alongside the likes of James, Wade, and Kobe Bryant.
If Howard decides to play with Team USA this summer, he’ll be spending most of his time working without the ball in his hands and learning how to use off-ball movement to get himself easy opportunities; if he gets comfortable enough playing that style, he could dominate the game against quality defenses without needed the ball tossed to him on the block at all.
Howard’s become pretty comfortable with his running hook shots, and actually has good touch with his left hand around the basket, but still needs to work on his footwork, his patience on the block, and develop a few counter-moves if he wants to have success in the post against defenders who can keep him from getting the deep position he wants.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29