May 29, 2010, 10:41 AM EDT
After leaving the turmoil that the Washington Wizards season became, landing with the Dallas Mavericks had to feel like Nirvana for Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood. Stable organization, playoff team, fans in love with the team, what more could you want?
Butler doesn’t want to leave. Can’t say I blame him. However, as they always do, the Mavericks are considering roster shakeups this summer and with just one year left on his deal Butler is a tradable asset.
So in his Hoopshype blog, Butler made his pitch.
We’ll have an interesting summer now. I would like to continue to play for a winning franchise like the Mavericks. I have no more years to waste on rebuilding or something like that. I look forward to being in a great situation and that’s what Dallas has been to me. The fans have been awesome. They welcomed me with open arms and I had a great time out there.
All that said, I’m aware that it’s all going to depend on what Dirk Nowitzki decides. You kind of feel what he wants is to stay a Maverick for life, but you can never know for sure. You just have to wait and see what happens during free agency. If you ask me, I would like this team to stay together. We’re not that far off. We could return next season with the exact same squad and compete for the title. We have the experience, leadership and everything else in place to make it happen.
Actually, you need another piece or two to get past the Lakers — and maybe others — in the West. Hence the trade talk. But Butler gets that; if anybody understands this is a business it’s him. The man was once traded for Kwame Brown. Reality doesn’t slap you in the face much more than that.
Wherever he lands, Butler will be a good, professional player. That is who he is.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47